How do you balance life and work?

Kevin Lu
109 replies
I often find myself pushed forward by various challenges. When time is tight and work pressure is intense, do you have any good work-life balance suggestions?

Replies

Ryan Tando - Dezbor.com
Catch up with friends or old friends at least once or twice a week
Rahul
Cleaning room on Sunday, a bit of gardening keeps the week days stress on side. Along with that an hour of gym .
Kevin Lu
@therahulv cleaning, gardening, and working-out! That's a healthy lifestyle man~ My way of dealing with the stress is eating... I gotta learn from you~
Rahul
@dot_brand we all have someone to learn from something .
Vlad Zivkovic
I often travel with my family for few days every week or two to different destinations to relax from work.
Kevin Lu
@vladimir_zivkovic Wow, that's nice~ What bothers me is that even when I go out with my family, I still feel extremely distracted and stressed out. Have you ever experience this kind of problem?
Vlad Zivkovic
@dot_brand One thing we try to do is always going to a new destinations with plenty of unknown things to discover, and that will keep the mind distracted. But of course there will always be some work ideas going in our minds.
Joseph Jackson
I achieve a balanced life and work by setting clear boundaries, prioritizing my mental and physical health with regular exercise and downtime, utilizing productivity tools to manage my tasks efficiently, and making sure to allocate quality time for my loved ones and hobbies that refresh my spirit.
Kevin Lu
@josephjack62 I should learn that from you: allocating quality time! What bothers me is that even when I go out with my family, I still feel extremely distracted and stressed out.
Shabnam Katoch
@dot_brand I believe you can start practicing blocking certain thoughts, everytime you catch yourself thinking about work, block that thought, for me that works!
Milap Singh
Try to make todo list and complete it by office time
Dennis Zax
No need for outside life when work is life :)
Marilena Nikou
exercise in the early morning before everyone is awake, good breakfast, no emails until after 2hrs I have been awake, shut down cell phone 1 hr before sleep, sleep early
Kevin Lu
@marilena_n Sleep well, eat well, and... work well!
Kevin Lu
@johanka_kucerova I like the concept of list out ten tasks everyday and only execute the top 20% of them everyday! Minor iterations bring huge success!
Cyril Gupta
I don't need to seek a balance... I go with the flow with what I want in a given moment. When I feel worky, I work.. When I don't feel worky I don't work.
Kevin Lu
@cyriljeet Life is work, work is life! Followed you, Cyril! God Speed!!
Anna Kasumova
I don't track my work-life balance. If I have energy, I work. If I want to have some rest - I take a break. If I feel that I don't have energy to work more than 1-2 days, I understand that I need to change place/picture Startup always need founders to be more engaged. Working till exact time is not good for startups. Better to track your mood, not working schedule
Kevin Lu
@anna_kasumova Follow the flow and find the tempo of our own life!
Paul Russell
Balance between work and life is a challenge, isn't it? I've discovered that setting clear limits and appreciating breaks are essential.
Kevin Lu
@russellpaul36 tbh, I think my real problem is don't really know the boundary and have a hard time to say no to myself~ Thanks for your suggestion!
Igor Lysenko
The best balance is to work on your product, which would be calmer, because I am in charge of the entire development process.
Anatolii
In short, you must be consistent and create basic to-do lists for your agenda. When it's not determined, you cannot track your progress, and, as a consequence, you can't set limits between work and life. Well, you can also sleep less so that your family sees you long enough and your work is done 😁
Kevin Lu
@anatoly5ms Truly! I like the concept of listing out 10 tasks everyday and only execute 20% of them! Thanks for your sharing!
Renat Abyasov
I totally understand. Sometimes the work-life balance is particularly difficult because we are approaching a difficult phase in the product's life. For example, we have a launch tomorrow and for the last two weeks I have to be in touch with colleagues 24/7. But once the launch is over, everything will be fine and I will go on vacation :D I think work-life balance is important, but when you create your own product, you have to prioritise.
Kevin Lu
@renat_abyasov Truly! First thing first, just followed your product!! Thanks for your suggestions, same here man! XD
Drew "Sales Playbook Builder" Williams
Not sure if balance is the right word. There will always be unbalance with work and life. One of my mentors talks about integration instead of balance. How can we integrate our work and life together. For example, if you're training for a marathon, it is OK to expect you to spend less time with the family during the week b/c you need to train for a few months. Once the race is over, then that time switches back.
Kevin Lu
@drewsalesplaybookbuilder Wow~ that's very inspiring: integrating work and life! Thanks for sharing, Drew!
Kate Tyshchenko
why are these 2 separate?... there's "life" and "work" and... nothing else?..
Myles McPherson
Instead of working for 12 hours a day, I force myself to keep my work hours within 8 hours per day to ensure quality work and time to do other things. But I especially keep weekends for family and friends. You'd be surprised at the benefit you get from taking a break
Kevin Lu
@influence_labs I am still learning to say no and set boundary to things! Thanks for the suggestion, Myles!
Demi Jones
I use a calendar and I time block. Time blocking is what works best for me!
Spending time with friends/family or exercise when I’m tired from hacking away