How do you approach to get that 1-2 hours of idea validation for your startup from a Mentor/Expert

Raju Singh
4 replies
I am sure all of you would have thought of many ideas in your journey to success, but getting that personal 1-1 validation of your thoughts is so important when you are attempting something new. Did you use a platform, your personal or professional network? How was the experience?

Replies

Joseph Natoli
Just wrote a post on finding mentors here: https://www.producthunt.com/disc... Hope that it helps. Can also be applied to experts.
Raju Singh
@joseph_natoli thanks Joseph. These really good steps to approach a mentor. Have you also explored any Pull strategy or paid platforms for any mentoring or aware of a good one?
Joseph Natoli
@imraju honestly for me, I would not pay for a mentor or advisor. In my opinion, adding a monetary construct turns it into consulting. Which is fine, but not what I would seek in a mentor. If concerned about what they receive in exchange, it's possible to add a mentor to your board, where there is usually a salary involved, or they should also receive some options or shares of the company, or both. However, a mentor or advisor should really also be getting value back from you outside of the compensation. Friendship, knowledge, staying active in the field, etc. Whatever it is that is valuable to them. That being said, if mentor platforms can help facilitate introductions, connections, and works for your construct then more power! For me, I don't want to start the relationship off with "money on the table". Hope that makes sense!