How do you address churn (users canceling subscriptions)?

Isa Tanis
29 replies
Share strategies for reducing churn and keeping customers engaged.

Replies

Maneesha Silva
I'd say data is your best friend when it comes to answering this question. Addressing and pinpointing trends in churn accounts and creating strategies to fight them is what we do. (this could include actual usage data as well as interaction data) I'd also say, be prepared to be wrong - not all of your theories may be right and the only way to figure it out is to test them.
Panagiota Gkotsi
Engage with them before it's too late. Identify potential churn and re-connect with them with in-app messages, emails etc to help them solve their problem and find value in your product.
Isa Tanis
@panagiota_gkotsi how can we identify the potential churn?
Panagiota Gkotsi
@isatanis use your analytics to see uses that stop engage with your product and specifically the your aha moments. You can even try to find users that stopped logging in
Relja Denic
1. Guides 2. Blogs 3. Most important: Great support
Olena Bomko
1. Send useful emails to existing customers. 2. Be accessible via chat/emails/social media so your customers can give you feedback. 3. Regularly do interviews with customers so you know they are happy or not. 4. Do churn surveys/interviews so you know why they churned. 5. Create webinars/podcasts. 6. Create useful templates/content for existing customers. You should be very close with your customers.
Waqas Khan
1 : Each features separate tutorial videos with written steps. 2 : Good Support 3 : Perfect solution for customer needs. 4 : New features every month.
Nick Stein
Try to interview them about why and see if this is something you can change
Drew "Sales Playbook Builder" Williams
This could be a symptom of poor qualification of prospects at the top of the funnel. Think about it, if your messaging (your promise) doesn't align with what you deliver, they will churn. Also, think about who you are targeting. I would look at who is churning vs. who is staying. What about the individual or company is similar. Look for patterns and double down on marketing and selling to those who don't churn.
Isa Tanis
thank you, all. Great suggestions 🙌
Judith Amarachi 💙
That's a sign they are not getting enough value for their money or have found someone else doing it better. Or they are not your true product users. The best thing you could do is talk to them and find out why they are canceling their subscriptions.
Dave-Anthony Smith
Get feedback on exit. Find out why they are churning directly from them without making assumptions. This can be done in the form of an exit survey. Without knowing "the why" it is difficult to prevent future churn. Use these findings to spot trends and address the issue. Sometimes its as simple as a lack of support, and other times its something more serious like terrible UI or no unique proposition for them to stick around.
Alex Zapata
Implement a pause feature. It's been a selling point for me.
QBR (Quarterly Business Reviews) have been a great way for us to establish good and recurring contact with our customers and users ;)
Nico Spijker
There are some tools on the market like Profitwell that can help with automating this :)
Hi @isatanis Same advice as @panagiota_gkotsi you need to keep a continuous or regular link with your subscribers. At Gryzzly every three month we do a QBR meeting (Quarterly Business review) where we discuss with our customer about their usage, frustration and it help use monitoring the health of our customer. By the way, we're launching today, come support us !
ridho tijan
How to Identify Customer Churn: - Gather customer feedback, - Monitor community forums and third-party review, - From Gmaps (this is weird, but effective in my country) ------------------------------------------------------------ How to Reduce: #1 Offer incentives Keep customers coming back by hooking them up with promos, discounts, or a loyalty program. A little effort can show your customers you care. #2 Create a community with your customers. If a brand builds a community around their stuff, service, and customers, people will stay loyal to them. So, your marketing team can engage with customers, form a Facebook group, or even plan events for loyal clients. #3 Focus on attracting the right customers. Develop customer profiles to get a precise understanding of the demographic characteristics and buying behavior of your target audience.
Rohan Pathak
I need to answer this from a marketing perspective: it's usually because either I don't know how to use the product in the best way or there's no communication between us and them I like to have a churn reduction email flow setup for my clients. So its a last resort I go for. I like to incentivize them with some kind of gift and maybe hop on a call to solve their problems for good!
1. Assign a dedicated account manager 2. Setup Customer Success team 3. Set alerts in the system so you are notified if someone doesn't log in to the account for X days.
Fabian Maume
Send survey about reason for churn and follow-up based on response (if churn for price for instance we offer a discount) Reactivation campaign 2 month after churn, including case study about the long term value of the product. Encourage yearly subscriptions.