How did you get your first 100 users?

Aaron O'Leary
33 replies
The first 100 users is often the first big milestone when it comes to user acquisition. I've seen countless blogs, articles and of course Twitter threads about it, how did you get yours?

Replies

Testimonial Guru
@d_shnaider How did you find the prospects to cold email? What was your offering that got responses?
Daniel Shnaider
@testimonialshq I use this tool: https://www.anybiz.io/ BTW i am one of the founders :)
Lukáš Soukup
It is hard and even harder to get to 100 paying customers/subscribers. Trying to get into conversation with your audience on Twitter, Reddit, Slack or Discord is the way for us.
Erik Hudak
@lukas_soukup1 Hi Lukaš, that is a great point. Would be interesting to hear if you create your own groups and communities our use already existing ones?
Lukáš Soukup
@erik_hudak_billdu Right now we are not building our own communities like Reddit/Discord/Facebook or Slack, but I think about it. However, we are active on Twitter (https://twitter.com/sumioapp) and think about starting a blog.
Maksym Kuchur
For me it was consistent work to communicate about your product to early adopters
Erik Hudak
@maksymkuchur what channels did you mostly use?
Daniel Engels
Some first 30 clients via personal network, the incubator and word of a mouth
Testimonial Guru
Not there yet, but I think cold emails are working good. You've to spend a lot of time prospecting your target customers though.
deepu
Content marketing and communities in slack
Daniel Lee
Personal network and consistent one on one sales
Rich Watson
Discord and discord bot/server listing websites. once it started being added to some servers and being used, other users in those servers seen it functioning and had an interest in it.
Erik Hudak
@richw Hello Rich, this sounds very interesting... could you add bit more details about this? how exactly did you use those websites and how did you find them? Thanks
Rich Watson
@erik_hudak_billdu Yeah so for example one of the biggest DIscord server listing sites is Disboard.org- where you can list your Discord server and a description and people can leave reviews on it and join it. When you're listed on this wbesite and have a good description, their SEO works great and is like the #1 result on Google. Here's an example of it; There is another website Top.gg who had a successful launch here, where you can list your Discord server and/or Discord bot, people can vote on it, leave reviews, etc. They a #1 result on google as well when it comes to Discord bots. There is a handful of others similar to these where you just list your server or bot with a description, add images, info, etc. And can "bump" it every few hours so it's shown on the front page if the categories it's listed under. This is how a lot of Discord servers first start out and gorw their user count
Erik Hudak
@richw this is awesome! Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. Definitely will try this out.
Roberto Morais
Mostly through direct contact and personal network. A few through speaking in Agile HR events but currently those are our best channel. For my next products I'm looking into Twitter and communities on Reddit or Discord...
Jimmy Spikes
Love these questions. Never get a real answer or help just one liners or sign up here
Dorian Garson
I'm flat-out bribing my first 15 users today. Wanna know if it works out? https://www.indiehackers.com/pos...
Godstime Nwabue
Trying to achieve this milestone but it is pretty tasking. But i would share you a tip that i noticed. Valuable contents are the key to achieve this. Before i subscribed to do anything, the content triggered it. Am always glued to my mail and i don't like missing updates. Valuable contents would do the call to action.
Gavin Hammar
I started a podcast and then launched an email newsletter on Substack. I was able to launch to those subscribers. I also spent time building a community on LinkedIn.
Tedel
In my case, it was pure SEO. Of course, I tried other things before that, like spamming my friends a few times a day, lol. That just doesn't work.
Mayank Jain
Not easy, but few things that worked for us 1. Launched early access to build email list 2. Started promoting and communicating in relevant communities 3. Special offer for early adopters and working closely with them. Word of mouth begins from there Good luck. Would be happy to brainstorm for your specific use case :)
Iuliia Shnai
We were reaching people directly with whom we had relationships already. Now testing number of sources, focusing on 2 main per month: 1. Traffic on website from writing content 2. Product Hunt launch 2. Helping people on Reddit, Quora 3. Linkedin posts 4. Referrals 5. Ads on Google Anything you suggest in particular if we target marketers and products mainly. Our service help to build no code flows to convert more leads.
Nick Bess
Using Facebook Lead Ads turned out to be a wise decision. Having linked my Facebook ad account and iCloud Mail account https://savemyleads.com/blog/how..., I created an integration to automatically send emails to new leads from Facebook and Instagram. I still use this method and it works well.
Maryann Se To
Forget about your first 100 users, work very closely with your first 10 users, and iterate. It's better to build a product that your first 10 users LOVE, rather than 100 users that like your product. From your first 10 users, you can then identify what keeps them using, and what they like/dislike. Other things that worked: 1. Launched waitlist to build email list 2. Launch on online communities like Facebook groups and Reddit threads. Reddit seemed to work better for us, but you'll have to launch strategically as you may get banned. Tons of resources out there but here's one to start off with: https://artplusmarketing.com/how...
Sarah Jordi
Honestly, just forcing my friends and family onto the product.
Manuel Ernesto Garcia
I began to publish my product on Twitter periodically and on some pages where products are listed, and organically they began to use it.