How can someone without any design experience get into the design field?

Janine Zaaa
5 replies
This is my personal experience: • Build your visual design skills. Learn tools like Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, etc. You can take online courses or follow video tutorials to learn the basics. Practice a lot by creating mockups, editing photos, designing websites, etc. • Develop your user experience (UX) skills. Learn UX principles like user flows, wireframing, prototyping, etc. Again, there are many free or low-cost resources to learn UX skills. Practice by redesigning your favorite apps or creating new mobile app concepts. • Create a solid portfolio. Pick 2-3 projects to work on and build case studies to showcase in your portfolio. They can be mobile apps, website redesigns, product design concepts, etc. A portfolio showcasing your visual and UX skills is critical to landing a design job. • Learn about design trends and tools. Follow influential designers and design blogs or podcasts. Stay up-to-date with the latest design software, UI trends, UX patterns, etc. Your knowledge will come through in interviews and at your job. • Consider freelancing or interning. Gain real-world experience by finding freelance design work or interning at a tech company. Start with basic projects like website wireframes or mobile app icons, then work your way up to more complex work. Experience is one of the best ways to break into the field. Everyone is welcome to share their thoughts and experiences. ❤️

Replies

Olga Pavlova
I would add, 'Study fundamental part of design'. In other case, the risk to be not designer but digital artist becomes reality. Design is similar to engineering, not to art. It is hard to understand, if you have your money for pictures.
Carmela Padasas
Thanks for sharing, Janine!
Nuno Reis
Thanks for sharing your take! What's you opinion on course that teach design in genral? So not a specific tool like your first point, but design thinking and UI aligned with UX in general?
Samuel Perry
Thanks for sharing, This would really help me a lot since I want to build a new path for my career !
Don't worry if you're terrible at drawing stick figures. Just follow these steps and voila!!!! And who knows, maybe you'll even be the next Picasso of UX design 😉