Help me build the ultimate book lover's website!

Nihal Kothiyal
16 replies
I'm thinking to create a website for book lovers and want to know what features you'd like to see - whether it's a comprehensive database of genres, author interviews, or something else entirely. Who knows, your idea might just earn you a spot in our literary hall of fame! (or at least a virtual high-five). So don't hold back - let's make this website better than a cozy nook on a rainy day!

Replies

Jordan Shlosberg
I use Goodreads mostly!
Nihal Kothiyal
@jordans is there anything you don't like about it?
Jordan Shlosberg
@nihalkothiyal I'd switch to something that had a recommendation engine a la Spotify. The UX sucks but to be honest, I wouldn't switch for UX
Nihal Kothiyal
@jordans you mean you wouldn't switch (just) for UX. I'm not trying to build another Goodreads, I'm trying something which focuses on just one problem like giving recommendations, user choosing the past book they read and then website recommending new book accordingly..
mapname
yes, that would be a great idea.. I had also considered to built such an app too so I would like to note top 10 features I would like to see :) 1. Read together 2. Top N Quotes 3. where are you reading this 4. book review + Reviewer Review 5. Why did you read this book, Is that worth it. (This part can be like a game) 6. Book Virtual Meetup, Spoiler Free Summary from readers and questions from the users that has not read yet. 7. Book communities as in Fiction, Non Fiction, Education, History ... 8. Exchange Used books 9. Judge the book by its cover, Create alternative covers for the book and roast the cover 10. Aside from Scoring that list the best books, book of the day, month, year, a Junk List, books that has the worst rating like the Razzie Awards for movies
Hashnimo
Will books be a thing in the future? I really hope so.
Ivan Gorshkov
I would love to see an application that hosts all my electronic and audiobook in the database in a way that I can access it on any device and any other app/ frontend. Unlike kindle where I can't access it on other devices
Nihal Kothiyal
@critic_rwps You mean links of audiobooks. like whenever you click on that link, you'll be redirected to the specific website?
Ivan Gorshkov
@nihalkothiyal I was thinking more about the platform where you can purchase books as well. However, for the website that helps you to explore and choose books I think it might be interesting to see if a particular book contains references to historical events or other books and where exactly it does so.
Ágh Helmut
I would love to find a website, where I select a book I've read previously and it suggests books like the one I've selected.