Have your college/university relations helped you boost your career?

Daniel Engels
27 replies
I believe a business education is often more about network than "hard skills". Let's get a snapshot of how higher education network impacted the careers of PH community members.

Replies

Colin Johnson
The name of the university has certainly helped (Job at Apple/Amex), but direct connections not so much
Philip Snyder
Yes, my college/university relations have helped me boost my career. I have met many influential people through my college/university connections and have been able to learn from them.
Daniel Engels
@philipsnyder what university did you graduate?
Paul Sutton
I got my job I am in currently through my university, which seems substantial.
Pankti Shah
Yes, it is helpful when you are from a good college/university and also a college/Univesity's curriculum
Janset Angı
It had a big impact on my career. After a conversation with my university friend at a group meeting, we decided for me to take part in his startup as a freelancer. After some time, I went beyond the department I studied in by starting a completely different profession as a full-time employee, and now I am working in the core team. We can say it's a major impact on my career! Be careful who you talk to at university:)
Daniel Engels
@janset_angi how did that startup experience go for you?
Janset Angı
@daniel_engels So far so good! Really happy to be in such dynamic environment. It was a risk for me but I think it worths.
Chithra varma
University network helped
Frank Lindsey
Yeah it helped but not much
Oleg Ferov
yeah but much I boost it myself.
Eric Park
The name helped more than the network. But I did start my company with a classmate!
John Watkins
yeah but more i do by myself
Nancy Talton
University network helped
Suzanne Sullivan
yeah it helped me in my confidence.
Alissa Anne Pagano
My network was helpful for work & development opportunities while still at school. These were important for growth and such, but once I graduated, my alum network wasn't too helpful anymore. Although maybe I simply didn't (and still do not!) leverage them enough
Ayaz Qureshi
Not mine but boss of my friend leverage university network. He the boss used to study in UK's prominent university. When all of his college friends started business, he started a design agency. So all of his network end up becoming his costumers as they needed designs for their business.
Denis Pimenov
My higher education network was not conducive to my career development. After university, I went to serve in the army. Then I went to work in the store. I rose through the ranks and I become a store manager. Then I went to work as a simple road worker in a road construction company. From there, I moved to an IT startup. Now I work as a middle-level engineer in the testing and analytics department. And by education I am a teacher of foreign languages ​​(German, English). I developed my own methodology for learning foreign languages. And I learned Romanian from it. In general, I do myself))