Gaming at work. Is it acceptable?

Salar Davari
72 replies
A friend of mine suggested that I should allow or even invite my employees to play a group online game one hour a day. I think it might bring a happier mood to the workplace, but I'm also afraid that they may not take their tasks seriously before and after the game. Do you think I should listen to my friend?

Replies

Jonas Schaller
No, they should do their tasks and then be free, i understand it sounds nice, but its a waste of time, rather stop working an hour earlyer then gaming
Layla
sometimes not daily
George Burmistrov
Well, if your working schedule is rather pliable and people understand that there is time for entertainment and time for work, you can at least give it a try. During my lunch time I can have maybe a 30 min gaming session from time to time, just for the sake of changing the activity and having a small rest. Our managers play online games when they can and it doesn't affect their efficiency as they are adult people who understand they have responsibilities and that works needs to be done. TL;DR I think you can give it a shot if you are sure of your employees and that they're responsible people.
Salar Davari
@burmistrov Thanks, The fact that everyone is gonna be involved makes me think that it's going to be rather noisy. But, I'll give it a shot.
Mahsima Dastan
Oh, another joke. if your work is boring, leave it
Erkin Bek
It all depends on the company, in general we have such events in our company. It helps to build informal communication, it will be a kind of mini team building. But of course not to get carried away :)
Salar Davari
@erkin_bek Don't you have noise problems while playing?
Erkin Bek
@salar__davari It should not, because we warn you that we will play for one hour on Friday :) and everyone comes to play.
If your game developer it will not be fun.
Salar Davari
@carmen_judson What a strong "no"!! Don't you think there are advantages to consider?
I think is it acceptable but in a free time
Chris Lindner
Maybe 1 hour a week is better instead of every day? We have tea time every Friday, and everyone looks forward to it because it’s the last day and productivity is not high during that time anyway.
Drew_Quinn
@salar__davari trust me, not many will work on their jobs serious if you playing with them during or after the work hours. 1 hours like maybe too much i assume. and also have to depend on the type of game as well
Arsen Batyuchok 🇺🇦
i was playing CS:GO with my fellows on the prev job. I'd say it's only acceptable if you don't collaborate with people in real time. the only thing that bugged people around was that if they wanted to have an ad-hoc conversation they failed when entering a room and seeing that everyone is playing a game.
Relja Denic
Daily is too much. We have a game room in our company, and people can go play games, ping-pong, table football, and people use it to let off some steam or rest. It's not a bad idea from time to time to have some kind of bonding time where you guys play a tournament as a team or something.
Salar Davari
@relja_denic I agree, but what about space. With computer games, I wouldn't need to worry about time?
I would be careful since people tend to want more once they're used to what's already given. So maybe 1h/day is a lot, but how about once a week? Like Friday thingie? :)
Ben H
Perhaps only on Fridays so everyone can go home afterwards!
Salar Davari
@ben_h123 But I want something that helps my employees shake of the work pressure in the middle of the day and continue again . The last our of the week won't do me anything good.
Ben H
@salar__davari I don't think games will shake off the pressure in the middle of the day. But you can test it and use the data to make a decision accordingly.
Drew "Sales Playbook Builder" Williams
Yes. 100%. If they enjoy it, then organize a team event around it.
Salar Davari
@drewsalesplaybookbuilder What about the inevitable noise that it involves?
Neha Sharma
It actually depends, you can keep certain day in a week when you can conduct this to help the employees relax for a bit!
Igor Lysenko
Definitely not, people enjoy such activities and then it will be difficult for them to focus on work and on their tasks.
Salar Davari
@ixord Then how should I help them regain energy in the middle of the day?
mohsen rajabi
I think it can be useful for more team communication and exchange of ideas.