From $0 to $5k after a year Indie Hacking. The biggest takeaways.

Wilson Wilson
11 replies
After over a year of Indie hacking, we've finally hit my first Indie Hacking goal for http://senja.io... $5K MRR šŸ„³ Biggest learnings: ##1. Ship fast, fail fast Since we released Senja, I've updated the app over 2,000 times. We're working in a very competitive market with a very low moat, so instead of building just another product, we decided to create the best product in our space. That meant: ā€” listening and building customer requests ā€” trying things nobody else is doing ā€” shipping fast and failing even faster Now we have a product that is one of the best tools in the market, and because our users love the product so much, word of mouth has started to take off. Focusing on product primarily instead of marketing meant that it would take much longer for growth to kick in. But because we have 100s of happy customers and they keep on recommending us, growth is starting to ramp up. We're also constantly experimenting with our marketing. We've tried dozens of things, from shitposting on Twitter to partnering with website builders. A lot of the things we've tried have failed horribly, but the few that worked have worked really well. ## 2. Separate Engineering and Marketing The biggest mistake we've made marketing wise is probably building our marketing site from scratch with code. That meant every change to our marketing site would lead to a back and forth between me and my cofounder. He'd need to change something but couldn't till I was free. Because of this, we couldn't add marketing pages and other resources as quickly as we needed to. Our SEO and content marketing have suffered. Adding a headless CMS didn't help either. Whenever we wanted to try something new, we'd have to build it twice. Once in code, then in our cms. Now we're rebuilding our entire marketing site with Framer (releasing this week!) so that all marketing can be done independently from dev work. ## 3. Start Reporting Up until two months ago, I didn't understand just how powerful reporting is. For most of Senja's life, we tracked signups + customers per day and also asked people where they came from (search, social, ads etc). But we never had concrete reporting in place. To prepare for the road ahead, last week my cofounder and I sat down and spent a day creating reports and my mind has already been blown. Now we know: ā€” which marketing channels are working best for us. ā€” how long it takes the average user to go from signup ā†’ upgrade. ā€” how many users go from paywall to upgrade ā€” how many users we can upsell ā€” who our top personas are And much more. If I could go back and do one thing differently, it would be have concrete reporting in from day 1. # Next steps I'm feeling extremely optimistic about the future. SEO is still one of our best performing channels, so we're going to be shipping a lot more help guides, resources and blog posts in the upcoming weeks. We now get over 500 signups per month but less than 10% of them upgrade. So we'll be focusing more on customer success too. We're going to get much more aggressive with our marketing. We'll be: ā€” going toe to toe with our competitors ā€” reaching out to twice as many people through social media, cold outreach et cetera ā€” launching new things every month ā€” running many more experiments ā€” collaborating with many more awesome creators. As always, we'll be sharing every interesting thing we learn and try in public šŸ”„ The support from the build in public community so far has been overwhelming. We'd never have gotten started without Twitter and Indie Hackers. The inspiration, motivation and critique from the community is what's kept us going for a year. Now I'm feeling better than ever, and I'm ready to take our little business to the next level.

Replies

Alex Borto
Keep going @wilsonsquared! As a client, I can tell that Senja is a game changer šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„ FYI, I'll add a backlink from WPMarmite (DR 72) to Senja in order to give you a little SEO boost. And thanks for sharing your journey, it's very interesting as I'm building WPTurbo.
Khizar Hamid
@wilsonsquared I always recommend using Webflow for marketing sites, making changes is a lot easier, and does not require a developer for content changes. I like the photo collage that you have on your website, didn't realize it was clickable to reveal more testimonials. A potential customer will have some questions: 1. How does this work 2. Does this integrate directly into my website platform 3. What's the benefit of using this as opposed to just directly collecting, what's the use-case here? Wasn't able to get answers and was led to sign up, I think addressing some of these early questions on your home page for users would improve your conversion rate.
Edgaras
@wilsonsquared All of the 3 points are so important, and really makes me think about similar experiences and mistakes. Unique insights, thank you for sharing!
Tomas Laurinavicius
Good stuff, Wilson. Saw this the other day on Reddit. After reading this, @edgarascom and I are reconsidering separating engineering and marketing as well.
Giancarlo Sanchez
Thanks for sharing!!!! a lot of learning here. When you implement an iterate fast/fail fast methodology, one of the key things is optimizing for learning to minimize iterations and waste. Was daily signups your core directional metric there? why did you choose it (from a founder looking for knowledge)
Dmitrii Pashutskii
Great journey, congrats! Thanks for sharing! Curious what tools you eventually decide using for reporting and if you don't mind sharing on how did you set them up?
Raj Lal
@wilsonsquared congratulations thanks for sharing your story very inspiring
David Olaniyi
Interesting insights! I think as you've mentioned reporting is important and this is something I'm actually prioritizing at the start of my recent project Chordcreate. Congrats! Thanks for sharing!