[Feature Request] Product Hunt can show full list of upvoters to the makers

Rohan Chaubey
17 replies
I have a feature request -- Can Product Hunt show full list of upvoters to the makers? Product Hunt doesn't show full list of upvoters publicly. Even the makers and hunters don't get to see the full list of upvoters of their own products. However, via API that's possible. Julie Chabin, Head of Product Design at Product Hunt shared a reason for not showing upvotes. Here's what she shared in a public comment on my Reddit community: "Hi there! Julie from Product Hunt. So happy to see this post detailing the changes. You’ve got good eyes 👀 About point 5: A few years ago, several community members reported receiving emails after they upvoted. We found out bad actors were taking the list of usernames and used external services to find the related email addresses to generate mailing lists. So, to protect community members, we decided not to stop showing the complete list. To be as transparent as possible while limiting the risks, we show an ever-changing list of upvoters — based on connections and time. This way, you can still see who’s upvoted, but spammers can’t steal the info to generate a mailing list. I hope this helps!" Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/GrowthH... I am starting a poll to get Product Hunters opinion. Please vote and share your thoughts in the comments. Thank you.

Replies

Shriya Mahule
Yes, upvoters list visibility gives us a chance to help them more generously.
Ken Savage
Twitter and Facebook and LinkedIn show likes. Why can’t product hunt show upvotes.
Harsh Jhunjhunuwala
This feature is much needed for understanding potential customers persona.
Peter Alexandra
yeah we need PH show upvoters
Kyle Frost
Just out of curiosity, is it the people that are actually important to you, or the information about who they are/what they do/who they work for?
Rohan Chaubey
@kylefrost Thanks for asking. I run a community of Makers (most are users of Indiehackers and PH) and a subreddit r/GrowthHacking. I asked most active members of our community how would they use this information, here's what they shared: 1. You could study the personas. Like how LinkedIn shows what personas are engaging with your posts, if there was something similar on PH, it would give makers an idea on which target segments ideally would like using the product. 2. You can visit the upvoters profiles and cross-connect with them on Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. to continue to build relationship. 3. It will add transparency so we can easily spot products that game upvotes. This will improve of quality of engagement on the website as makers will start holding each other accountable even before PH team intervenes to flush gamed upvotes. 4. If a maker re-launches their product in future after significant updates, they can reach out to previous launch upvoters to inform them they have made updates. The product hub followers either do not read all the notifications or notifications will get suppressed eventually as platform continues to grow with more products to follow, so having an upvoters list will be helpful. I think Product Hub followers list also needs to be open (same as the profile followers list is accessible). Upvoters list can be a premium feature like ship pages or makers should get at least their product upvoters for free. :) P.S. The poll option isn't working on PH Android and iOS mobile app. Is there a bug or polls are currently unavailable on mobile app?
Kyle Frost
@rohanrecommends while I agree with some of your points, and might even be already working on some of them 😄, but not all. "4. If a maker re-launches their product in future after significant updates, they can reach out to previous launch upvoters to inform them they have made updates." A PH upvote ≠ an agreement to be reached out to by every maker via email/twitter DM etc. Sending updates "in-context" on PH is ok, but an upvote is a much lower touch action than say, an explicit 'subscribe' on your website. As a maker, I understand the value of reaching these people, but as a PH community member it can be incredibly annoying. Appreciate your feedback, they're all things that we'll be keeping in mind!
Rohan Chaubey
@kylefrost Thank you Kyle. :) I agree to what you said responding to #4. I was just thinking how supporters can be notified better -- maybe a dedicated feed for showing updates on products we follow. Thanks for considering the feedback. Please feel free to reach out if I can be of any help.
Zeeshan Lakdawala
Is there any progress on this, or have anyone found any workaround?
Zeeshan Lakdawala
@wizlink Yemi, if you are on mobile app, you can find the upvoters from the notifications. That too would work post you download the app. that's the workaround I found.