Don't DM people on twitter!

Richard Gao
11 replies
Ok, maybe the title was being a little alarmist, but the point is, don't listen to the twitter "growth experts" who tell you to DM 10+ people every day on twitter Especially if your account is new, it's likely to get restricted. I know a few people who followed such a strategy and they had to start over Rather, I would start off slow and focus more on comments and posts, then work your way up slowly and increasing the DMs as time goes on. You'll be able to do far more DMs eventually. It also helps with twitter's trust algorithm if you DM people already following you. I might have gotten lucky, my account is OLD (created back in 2016), so when I started DMing people to grow my twitter, I didn't experience any issues. You can check it out here: https://twitter.com/TheRealEtch What are other twitter growth "hacks" that are better avoided to something to be wary of?

Replies

Abdulrahmon Mutiullahi
"Exactly, Richard. Another Twitter growth hack involves dropping a reasonable and constructive comment on an influencer's tweet who has a larger audience, rather than just any comment."
Carter Michael
I'm not a big twitter guy but hope to be this year. Are people suggesting that you ask for followers in the DM's? Cause this sounds like nothing but a surefire way for me to block someone as it seems so counterintuitive, almost bot-like. But I agree with what you say about letting your account build up slowly. It's the same concept for cold-emailing potential prospects for a service/product. You have to have a "warm" email or you'll get flagged for spam and possibly (probably) ruin your email - and just show up in spam inboxes.
Richard Gao
@carter_barnett Damn, I have never gotten a DM asking for followers To me I really never block anyone. If someone is being annoying in DMs, I just take the chance to sell evoke-app.com to them haha Actually got a few customers that way!
Emily Matick
Amen, polite and friendly is the way to go - with outreach and all 1:1 comms, I try and proceed as if I was receiving the message myself.
Zeng
DM once per day is enough. 10 is a lot! Although I get almost 10 DMs per day.😆
Leo Kim
We should focus always HIGH QUALITY. but it doesn't mean we don't need HACKS. I think we have good balance is best hack.
Hyunseok Lee
Becareful look like bot. Some, or Many of company official twitter account looks like bot.
LisaKim
Don't put external links in your tweets. I can testify that putting in links lowers engagement and its always better to put your CTA & Link on a reply thread if the tweet is performing well.