Does 'Build in Public' trend provide any extra value to your product?

yash
11 replies

Replies

Anton Zorin
I consider building in public as a marketing channel (community building, those who will follow you in your journey) and an acquisition model, but it will also attract non-ICP users, and be ready to distinguish signal from all the noise.
yash
@tonyzorin What social channels to use for build in public?
Anton Zorin
@yash_gandhi4 it depends on your ICP. We’re building B2B SaaS, our ICPs are on LinkedIn. If you’re building for B2C, Facebook or Instagram could be better options.
Yes I think so - if used correctly. It's great for picking up early users that can help develop the product, or just get feedback from people. The other side of it is that it can build a set of people that want to support you and your product which can come in handy for Product Hunt Launches 🚀🚀
Uma Venugopal
Yup. You can bring your users on the journey with you from day 1 and also build your network with the right folks who see you making progress.
yash
@uma_venugopal Could you suggest some platform where this trend can be used, Twitter seems to be tricky nowadays due to the reach of the issue
Uma Venugopal
@yash_gandhi4 I'm not sure if I'm the correct person for the suggestion since I'm not building in public, but maybe your own discord server where you can add interested people and keep them updated? Or Linkedin if that's where your target users are most active?
Felix
You could definitely add some extra value, but the main advantage to building in public is: You give your product a story and personality. That way people are more connected to it and are more likely to buy it.
Aviv Icel
It doesn't apply as much to my current venture, but as a deeply community-engaged person, I highly believe in building in public. I think it's the best way not only to get feedback as soon as possible but has the potential to create very passionate users that will follow you for years.
yash
@aviv_m_icel What social channels to use for build in public?
Aviv Icel
@yash_gandhi4 Twitter is the main one (hopefully it survives). Beyond that, it's more sector specific. I work a lot in creator economy and gaming, so Discord is a major one, itch.io for game developers, and Facebook groups if your audience is there. I also employ podcasting/streaming, then use the VODs to share on other places.