Does AI mean the end of Wikipedia?

Sneha Nair
17 replies

Replies

Masoud Masoomi
I believe that we are on the brink of a new world, thanks to the revolutionary power of AI. Only time will tell what exciting developments lie ahead.
Gibril Longmene
it might, most AI solution aren't accessible to everyone. so many people will still be using wikipedia
Konok Nazmul
AI might bring advancements to information gathering and dissemination, but it doesn't necessarily mean the end of Wikipedia. There will always be a need for accessible and reliable sources of information, and Wikipedia has been doing a good job at that for years. Plus, not everyone has access to AI solutions, so it's important to keep platforms like Wikipedia accessible to the general public.
Most probably Wikipedia will also launch some AI functionality, but if OpenAI figures out how to make responses relaiable people will not have to go on Wikipedia anymore.
Kira
depends what you mean by the "end of"? is it decreasing donations or decreasing WAU?
Mark Pavlyukovskyy
No, AI does not mean the end of Wikipedia. Instead, it can enhance the platform by improving content generation, fact-checking, and knowledge discovery.
Raisa Shafiyyullah
I don't believe so. I still have the habit of opening the Wikipedia page first for my Google searches.
Shawn Cao
If we think they both have credit scores, currently: Wikipedia=100 AI=50 As time passes, the AI credit score is probably going up, how far it can go will determine Wikipedia's fate.
Mei
No — I think people will continue using it to write Wiki pages. I think it’s going to be a long way to go until Chat GPT becomes a search engine of some sorts.
Sam Andrew
I don't think so, as I tried to use AI to generate content related to my work, but I didn't feel satisfied. The touch of humans makes a difference.
Heleana Grace
Not right now at least. AI usually pulls information from all around the internet and one of those sources is most definitely Wikipedia. So if Wikipedia ends, AI tools will also be affected.
Kim HM
I don't think so, because I tend to trust Wikipedia more than AI-generated content.
André J
Launching soon!
Wikipedia launching their own AI bot in 3...2... 💥 (bans all other AI crawling their data / API, like reddit just did)
RDS
Might since AI gather info from more sources including wiki.
Kunal Mehta
No, AI does not mean the end of Wikipedia. In fact, AI can enhance the educational experience by providing more accurate and personalized information. Proapp, as an edtech platform, leverages AI to offer courses, workshops, and AI-powered mentorship, complementing the vast knowledge base of Wikipedia. We believe in integrating technology to enhance learning, ensuring accessibility and affordability while maintaining the value of diverse educational resources like Wikipedia.
Patrick Flynn
I don't think so, Wikipedia offers a human perspective and people will always crave that in some form, imo. (Please follow my upcoming launch if you like auctions!)