Do you think lifetime deals validate your product?

Richard Gao
8 replies
🚨 Controversial opinion, but I don't think your product is validated if you sell a bunch of lifetime deals at launch (unless that's your core business model) It only validates that people are willing to pay for your product once, not a monthly sub 🤷 What do you think?

Replies

MAC
Every product is different, but i think in some cases if you need to sell a lifetime product to break the penny gap, and if the Sticky Rate is high on your product, you'll surely have other ways to monetise (upselling, add ons, or take them up a value ladder to a subscription, etc)
Mustafa Aydemir 🌕
I am quite intrigued by the various perspectives on this question. The feasibility of lifetime deals can vary greatly depending on the project and its associated costs. While lifetime offers may be suitable for some projects, they may be challenging for others. If your expenses are high and users will utilize your product indefinitely, offering a lifetime option could potentially harm the project in the long run. Lifetime campaigns do have some benefits, such as rapidly attracting new users, collecting feedback from numerous users simultaneously to enhance your project, and promoting your project more quickly. However, I believe there should be a limit to lifetime campaigns, and they should eventually come to an end at some point. This approach can help to balance the advantages and drawbacks of such offers.
DoÄŸukan Tezcan
It would help the growth of the product. People would like to buy some new product's lifetime offer because of the probability of a further increase in value.
Rupin Mathur
I believe a money back guarantee shows a stronger trust in your product, especially at launch and especially if you provide a subscription based model. This not only displays your confidence in your product but also smoothly makes otherwise free users into paid users of your product. ( And honestly if you have a great product, how many will ask for a refund anyways)
Daniel Craig
I'd say it validates that your product holds some value and some interest, but it doesn't validate how much your product is actually worth on an ongoing basis. Like you say, it depends on your model. If your model is an expensive lifetime deal and you sell a bunch of them, then heck yes you've validated it. If you're doing lifetime deals at a cheap rate just to get your first few sales but your business model doesn't actually work on those numbers, then you're just using it as an entry point.
Lifetime deals may bring in the cash flow, but it doesn't guarantee long-term success. Gotta focus on that monthly sub game 🔥
Çağla Çağlar
While lifetime deals can generate interest and revenue, they don't guarantee a product's long-term viability. A sustainable business model, user engagement, and a clear value proposition are more important for long-term success.
Robert Poplawski
Recently I wanted to publish obzrv.it on AppSumo, and was told that they only do lifetime deals now, because they see best conversions there. I thought - well, ok, not what I had in mind, but I can give it a try. Then they suggested that I should set the price to an equivalent of something between 1-2 months subscription, because that's what works best. So, in the end, they're suggesting me to sell lifetime deals for a 1-2 months subscription fee. I said - no, thank you. I'm looking for real users, not people who just buy because it's so cheap it's crazy not to buy it.