Do you read ingredients labels?

Julia Putzeys
23 replies
I'm curious how many people look at the ingredients labels of the foods they are buying, and if so - what are you looking for or trying to avoid? Do you use any tools to help you? We're launching Trash Panda on Product Hunt soon - an app that makes reading ingredients labels easier, and want to make sure we're speaking to our audience in a way that clicks!

Replies

Kelly
I do read the labels - I pay close attention to macros and calories.
Julia Putzeys
@kelly_kwawu thanks for sharing! I'm excited to check out the meal prep jar - I love a good Sunday meal prep.
Kelly
@julia_putzeys Sounds great, I will keep you updated, Julia!
Ben Dalziel
all the time! most recently on cat food 🐈
Julia Putzeys
@bdalziel that's a good one - there are some weird ingredients in pet food! what's your favorite brand?
Ben Dalziel
@julia_putzeys I lean towards Canadian brands because the pet food standards are higher there. FirstMate is a good one my cats like
Philip Snyder
I'll usually just glance at sugars and sodium Also looking at how many servings per container
Julia Putzeys
@philipsnyder that makes sense! Did you know there are over 60 different names for sugar that can show up on an ingredients label? 😅
Namrata Dutta
Absolutely! I usually look for the Sodium and Sat fat content. Good luck with the Trash Panda launch! 😇
Jonathan Nass
Totally, but when reading the ingredient list, it's mostly out of curiosity. I definitely find myself reading the nutrition label more often — mainly looking to avoid too much sugar and saturated fats.
Julia Putzeys
@jonathan_nass interesting, thanks for sharing! sugar is a big one for most people it seems
Krishna Kumar
Absolutely. Particularly for food items and first time purchases. Finding them on the label and then reading the microscopic font on plastic or silver is indeed a pain. End up using the magnifying lens app on the phone most of the time
Julia Putzeys
@kkumarkg Totally! Our app Trash Panda aims to make that process easier, flagging certain ingredients with a barcode scan so you don't have to read them all 😅
Adithyan Selvaraj
I do. Recently I found out that milk chocolate and dark chocolate have the same levels of sugar. That's why I consider reading labels important.
Neri Raanani
Yes, definitely. I always check the ingredients to avoid using animal products as a vegan. 🌱 I found it to be a really positive experience because ever since I turned vegan I have been much more aware of what I'm eating. Anyway, I'm really curious about how you will simplify the ingredients reading. :)
Julia Putzeys
@neri_raanani that makes a lot of sense! Tuning in as a vegan can help you be more aware of where your food comes from, and what's really in it. Trash Panda flags certain ingredients as potentially harmful or questionable so you can be aware, read more about the health impacts, and make a more informed choice.
Neri Raanani
@julia_putzeys Sound really cool. I'd love to check it out when you launch. Do you have an upcoming product page?
Rhea Reanoga
As a food tech, I usually check if a product contains artificial sugar then I head to check sodium, saturated and trans fat, and sugar content!
Julia Putzeys
@rhea_reanoga Those artificial sugars are sneaky and can cause all kinds of gut issues. So cool that you are a food tech!
Paul Richardson
I look for: - Sugar content (position in the list of ingredients) - Calories - Number of ingredients (for items like bread). Fewer is better I get my food from https://www.waitrose.com/ - usually the same things every week.