Do you offer free tier on launch?

Adam Gold
13 replies
Can users use your product straight away? With or without entering their email? What do you think is better? Share your thoughts and ideas!

Replies

Kausambi Manjita
I love non-gated experiences - a la Mutiny https://demo.mutinyhq.com/ is a goooood start
Julien Zmiro
We do offer free credits on AskMore when you sign up. I think for most apps, if you count on a substantial "self serve" motion, then offering some sort of free tier is important. On sign up versus no sign up I'm more on the fence. First most products can't really work properly without a sign up. But even for products that have the opportunity to allow anonymous users, I'm not sure it's always the best move. In my previous startup we were allowing anonymous users. This is great to remove the initial friction, and probably had a huge impact on our acquisition. That being said, you also get a lot of "noise" and low quality users that won't engage much or retain. It also makes everything related to analytics much much harder. It's definitely a hard question, but it should be carefully considered because it can have big implications and be hard to revert later on.
Olivier Côté
I don't know of the usual on PH but free tier can be expense if you are bootstrapped because conversion rate are low and often does not reflect your ideal user. So you waste time with customers that aren't your priority. Don't get me wrong free tiers can be good, there's is a bunch of success story around.
Adam Gold
Launching soon!
@olivier_cote Did you try it?
Olivier Côté
@adamgold7 Not yet, we are currently on the pre-launch stage for our product. I get my insight from the podcast (Startup for the rest of us) and book (The SaaS Playbook) of Rob Walling. I highly suggest you to take a look at his content. The guy is something else, he is a gold mine of information.
Jijo John
Yes, we do, by the way follow if you wanna use our free tier ( launching on 20th ) producthunt.com/products/textcraft-ai
Kas Szatylowicz
Yes, they can use the "sandbox" version of the tool without signing up, but to get full access they need to request it :) So far it works quite nicely, but curious to A/B test different approaches.
Italo Costa | System Developer
Yes, but I'm thinking about not using it in a second product.
It depends on the product and market. For eg, we are building Wylo - a highly customizable community platform for brands and creators. For us, it made sense to have a free tier considering the market landscape. Since it's a full-fledged community platform, it made even more sense to get the emails as that's how the communications would be sent.
Johnsy George
Yes, we are offering a free forever plan to the users of our AI Chatbot RoboResponseAI - https://www.roboresponse.ai. We do have set limitations as the purpose of the free Forever plan is to try as much as you want to your satisfaction but do pay us when you see value in it. Oh and yes, we are bootstrapped, so expense is indeed a consideration.