Do you have ethical concerns related to the advancements in AI?

Stephen
12 replies

Replies

Brianna Swartz
I just posted about this myself! "We all should have our critical thinking caps on when it comes to these models, but that doesn't mean we avoid them or carte blanche label them as detrimental. Instead, we would be best served to build in a moment of pause--to give time to ask ourselves tough questions about the content generated by systems using these models. Such systems can very much make for better human experiences, and hopefully equitably improve the way we live. But we have to hold ourselves accountable to that scrutiny, and not assume perfection." https://www.linkedin.com/feed/up...
Stephen
@brianna_swartz Absolutely! It's important to approach these models with a critical eye, but it's equally important to recognize the potential benefits they can bring. We should strive for a balanced approach that acknowledges both the opportunities and the risks. It's all about finding the right balance between trust and skepticism, and staying vigilant to ensure that these models are used in ways that align with our values and ethics. As with any powerful tool, we need to use them wisely, with caution and with purpose.
Natalia Smith
My biggest concern is that AI-based decisions are susceptible to inaccuracies, discriminatory outcomes, embedded or inserted bias.
Stephen
@natalia_smith Given the potential risks associated with AI-based decision-making, it is crucial for companies to establish guidelines and ethical standards that ensure the responsible use of these technologies. I believe companies have a responsibility to assess the potential social and ethical impacts of their AI systems, including how they might affect different groups of people and whether they align with the company's values and mission. Establishing ethical guidelines for the development, deployment, and use of AI systems can help ensure that they are used in ways that are transparent, fair, and respectful of individual rights and freedoms.
Carter Michael
Yes. I wouldn't say this relates directly to ethics but I think it'll completely stunt people's abilities to come up with ideas on their own.
Stephen
@carter_barnett That's an interesting perspective. Have you ever encountered a situation like that so far?
Carter Michael
@stephen_smith67 Not entirely no, more of a theory. I found it a bit harder to make new ideas when using some AI more frequently for things like brainstorming, but that was just me!
ALEXIA
One word….data….how do we protect user data?
Bonnie Samotin
With AI, we risk losing the nuance found in human expression that transcends the written program or the written word.
Stephen
@bonnie_samotin AI is a powerful tool that can help us solve complex problems and achieve remarkable efficiencies. However, it's important to remember that AI is not a replacement for human judgment, creativity, and empathy. There are many nuances in human expression that are difficult, if not impossible, to capture in a written program or the written word. For example, facial expressions, tone of voice, and body language all convey important information that can be lost in translation when using AI. To mitigate this risk, we need to be mindful of the limitations of AI and ensure that we incorporate human input and oversight into the development and deployment of AI systems. By doing so, we can leverage the strengths of AI while preserving the irreplaceable qualities of human expression that are essential to building strong relationships, creating meaningful experiences, and advancing our shared humanity.
Kia Hays
AI is a product of humans, and therefor has all the same ethical concerns that face humanity... the same we we have to hold society responsible for inequity and injustice, we need to make sure we are constantly interrogating our AI models. My concern is that we will move so fast and forget this crucial point