Do you check permissions requested by apps and extensions before installing them?

Mykhailo (Mike) Rokosh
3 replies
I just launched my pet project, a secure ChatGPT email writer designed specifically for Gmail, around 18 hours ago on ProductHunt. During the beta phase in March, many users expressed concerns about data privacy, prompting me to limit the extension's permissions to Gmail and OpenAI. By doing so, EmoGPT now offers a much higher level of data privacy and security compared to extensions that request access to all websites or use a backend to process data. This experience made me realize the importance of reviewing permissions before installing an extension. It's easy to take security for granted and install a new shiny piece of technology without considering the risks. Have you ever ignored extension permissions before? Let's discuss! P.S. Here's the link to my pet project: https://www.producthunt.com/post...

Replies

Sometimes - but not always, depends on the system that the permissions are coming from
Yavuz Tunc Emran
I don't have time for this 😂 I never do read unless I am doing something totally suspicious.
Alice Martin
most of the time, I don't 😂