Do you believe in work life balance?

Annie Chopra
34 replies
Over the years I have read a lot about work/life balance. The best explanation of it I found was in Brendon Burchard's book - High Performance Habits where he says that work/life balance is not actually 50/50 at all but it is different for each individual person depending on where we are in life and what priorities we have. Ever since- I stopped trying to live by 'work/life' balance. However, even so, as a workaholic that became toxic. And so, now I don't let either one take over (basically if one is at 10% the body alarms go off that I need to fix it). I do find that integrating vacations and days off has been the most helpful in making me more holistically productive. what do you think? Also, I am launching a product to help you stay productive and feel good! Anyone who has ever thought about work life balance is sure to find it useful https://www.producthunt.com/prod...

Replies

There's no work/life balance. There is life. Work is part of it. How big a part is individual. Being holistically effective is important. The idea that things with change once we've achieved Big Goal X can be a mental trap. No one area of our lives can make us happy on it's own. For entrepreneurs I think that support groups (and real friends) are really valuable. It helps maintain perspective.
ISTIAK AHMAD
Hey Annie, Totally vibing with your take on work/life balance. The alarms at 10% are genius! Integrating vacations for holistic productivity is a power move. excited to check out your productivity-boosting product on PH. 👊
Annie Chopra
@istiakahmad Hey Istiak! Thanks! Yes, I do believe that holistic productivity is the future - I think people are finally over hustle culture and I am happy that I learned before it became a trend lol :P
Nico Spijker
I've struggled with this as well in the past, but now that I'm over 3 years in on the startup world I've got it more sorted. Invest in side hobbies and different social circles. There's nothing wrong in being ambitious about your product/startup and wanting to spend a lot of time on it. But disconnecting actually does a lot of good. It refreshes the mind and gives you new ideas. Invest in a new sport, art, volunteer, travel, friend group, hobby etc. It also diversifies your energy and what you consider "important", which means that you also end up attributing less of who you are to the success of the startup/job.
Annie Chopra
@nicolaas_spijker Love these suggestions Nicolaas! I think too many people take 'be obsessed or be average' too seriously and I used to be one such person for sure. I love your input! I have loved integrating more reading and chilling time into my day to day life! So much so I even plan my days off so that I can make sure that I am not letting it go and scrolling all day long! :)
Nico Spijker
@annie_chopra Days off should be fun and something to look forward to and other interests definitely help with that. If you have nothing else then a day off just feels like wasted time you could be investing in your project/startup. Happy to hear that reading has been a helpful add to your day-to-day!
Artyom Sviridov
Sure I do, work-life balance is very important (as the practice have shown multiple times already) :)
Annie Chopra
@sviridov 100% do you have a specific approach to it?
Definitely! I think it is achievable if you set priorities right and manage your time effectively :)
André J
Launching soon!
Work/Life balance is a myth IMO. What works for me is: "Work-life-integration"
Annie Chopra
@sentry_co OOO I love that! can you expand more on it?
André J
Launching soon!
@annie_chopra Sure. It's pretty simple. You basically live your life around work. And stop working around your life. No pun intended. You basically look objectively at your life and ask. How can I get most out of my time spent working. And if you're lucky enough to have the option to work remotely, or hybrid. You can really be creative. And do whatever your mind, body and soul needs and wants to do to be effective. For me it's having no strict routine. But with all this flexibility and freedom comes responsibility. or it will be yanked from you. But in most cases if you figure out the work life integration recipe. You can probably be 2-3x and near the best version of your self.
Egon Tyrell
Overall sense of fulfillment: A fulfilling life generally includes both professional and personal achievements. Work-life balance helps ensure that individuals can pursue both sides of their lives effectively.
Annie Chopra
@egon_tyrell 100% Agree, it's all about the feeling involved. Not just the tasks you complete- although those definitely help. That's the reason TGLP has worked for me and so many people ! it has sections that help you explore everything :)
Kabir Haynes
Reduced burnout and turnover: Chronic overwork can lead to burnout and high employee turnover, which can be costly for businesses.
Annie Chopra
@kabir_haynes Completely true! Not just important personally but in the corporate manner and economically in the large scale too!
Poul merry
Blurring lines between work and personal life: In today's digital age, it can be difficult to completely disconnect from work, even outside of office hours.
Aditya Chavan
You don't need to balance if you enjoy your work.
Annie Chopra
@aditya_chavan3 I think it really depends, because even loving your work too much can be unhealthy! I think everyone needs time to restore energy because no matter how much you love your work there are going to be times that will be trying and maintaining your health, wellness, can definitely help in such times.
Aditya Chavan
@annie_chopra it almost never feels like work. I'm a growth hacker so what I call work is essentially experiments where I and my clients we either win or learn something new. it's creative and scientific and results starts flowing instantly so just can't complain. + I'm travelling and working so it feels damn healthy
Martin Schumacher
I think there's a work/life balance. Just for me, it's similar as you do expect I'm not really struggling with being exhausted. I actually enjoy the time when I'm coding. After the work, I'm starting to be exhausted and realize what I did the whole day.
Annie Chopra
@mighty_muddy I had the same problem, I wouldn't actually notice I am depleted of energy until after, and at some point that led me to a burnout. Now I feel more intrinsically motivated than ever to do what I love and I always know when to take a break and include more aspects to life. :)
Oisin O'Reilly
Your approach to work/life balance, prioritizing holistic well-being and incorporating vacations, is commendable. Best of luck with your product launch!
Annie Chopra
@oisin_o_reilly thank you so much Oisin! You will enjoy TGLP if you like my approach as it really simplifies making your life good overall - I hope to see you on the launch :)
Matteo Zumpano
I find there are seasons of more work and seasons of less work.
Aarushi
Launching soon!
Absolutely necessary for a sustainable growth trajectory in life!
Annie Chopra
@mahajan completely agree! Whats something you think has made your work/life balance better?
Aarushi
Launching soon!
@annie_chopra I guess understanding my limit and respecting the fact that my body & mind need some rest too.