Do video games really enhance your critical thinking?

Isabel Hely
19 replies

Replies

Max Velin
Yes, I agree with what you said. Games that focus on riddles or logical problems improve critical thinking skills and creativity. For example, it's impossible to play Destiny games without spatial reasoning. I even used cheap destiny 2 carries to pass the game flawlessly because it was important to me. After spending some time in the game, I can say that the core of the game is grind. Blatant monotonous grind in all aspects of the game.
Ash Rahman 🎮
I may sound biased but they do actually, especially puzzles, tactical games, and to some extent FPS games too (improving reaction time). They reinforce some sort of critical thinking skill. Here is an old study where researchers found gamers produced the response more quickly - https://arstechnica.com/science/...
Hallam Moeller
@ashrahman The old strategic ones. I spent multiple hours playing the Stronghold, Diablo and Star Wars strategic series when I was a teenager, and those games really make you think. Being able to analyze the situation and make correct decisions, in the long run, is essential in those games. The world in those games is huge, and there’s a lot you have to consider and learn in the process. It also helps you learn strategy, history and even psychology (if you play with the others). There are nice communities for all of these games on yesgamers, and you’re welcome there if you want to know more about those games.
Anna Nenasheva
I really think so. You can find out here. Online gaming enables many players to engage in a particular game simultaneously. As such, there is constant communication between the players which in turn results in the development of meaningful as well as casual relationships among them. Though computer games might be beneficial, there is need to play them in moderation.
Emily Harris
It depends on how long you play and what game you play. Personally, I like word games such as crosswords, wordle, scrabble, and others. If you want to improve memory, increase your vocabulary and develop analytical skills, then working on crossword puzzles, word searches and sudokus is a good idea. Use this tool https://word-finder.com/words-wi... if you can't guess the right word.
Marilyn Plummer
I think situationally. I think it depends on the game. I just started playing simulation games https://romsemulation.com/roms/s... and I really feel how my brain works
Laya
Yes, I agree also following the statement. Games that focus on complex problems enhance problem solving abaility. For example, it's impossible to play World of Warcraft without quick reactions. I even used WoW Boost to get everything I needed as it was exceptional.
sos red
According to SteamSpy, Dota 2 has approximately 102 million owners, of whom approximately 770,000 play daily. The game regularly breaks new prize pool records: in 2016, The International had a total prize pool of $20.7 million.
Alex Shawn
Video games can indeed enhance critical thinking skills, including problem-solving, strategic thinking, and decision-making. Games like Overwatch 2, with its fast-paced and team-based gameplay, can provide opportunities for players to analyze complex situations, identify patterns, and devise effective strategies. The constant need to adapt to changing circumstances and coordinate with teammates fosters critical thinking skills. Moreover, overwatch 2 boosting, a practice where players improve their performance or rank with the help of more skilled players, can also contribute to enhancing critical thinking. Boosting requires players to learn from experienced individuals, observe their strategies, and apply those insights to their own gameplay, which promotes analytical thinking and understanding of the game mechanics. While video games alone may not be a panacea for developing critical thinking, they can certainly provide an engaging and interactive platform for honing these skills.
ThomasD Moore
Whether video games promote critical thinking, opinions differ. Some argue that video games can indeed improve critical thinking skills through complex game mechanics and problem-solving elements. Others believe that some aspects of games may involve problem solving, many games also rely on reflexes, hand-eye coordination, and memorization rather than deeper analytical thinking. But personally, I've been a long time Dota 2 fan and know that this game is very popular these days. Plus there are new features in it all the time. Platforms such as https://eloboss.net/dota2-boosting have been created to help you rank up in Dota 2 to improve your gaming experience or increase your rank. Which makes the game even more interesting.