Database as a service and beyond? 🤔

SHIVDEEP SINGH
4 replies
I have seen a lot of services popping up lately that make it easier to deploy an application on the serverless infrastructure. As a full-stack developer, I can swear by these services. And I love how MongoDB cloud lets you manage and deploy databases on the go. MongoDB Atlas makes collaboration incredibly easy and seamless and saves a ton of development time thanks to the robust library and cloud approach. However, there was also a recent shift toward the SQL-based database like PostgreSQL. And ever since I started using Sequelize I'm more convinced that I can use PostgreSQL in many of my projects over Mongo. Now what bothers me is that there is no service similar to MongoDB Atlas that serves SQL users. There are DBaaS providers out there but they are not fully grown as Atlas or ultra-focused on databases. They either do not provide full support and often lack the features that make services like MongoDB so appealing in the first place. I’m looking for something beyond just deploying a database and that’s it. I'm so obsessed with this that I recently wrote a small UI that allows me to create a PostgreSQL database on my local machine. And I wonder if this is something you ever thought of?

Replies

FBrooks
I also deal with databases very often in my work. But I prefer to use the MySQL management system as it is more practical for me. There are also generic tools that you can use to design, manage, and administer your database. I use dbForge Studio mysql gui for macos https://www.devart.com/dbforge/m... as it has a full GUI, more features and better performance.
Ivan Ralic
I really think you should checkout Azure DB, I love it. ➜ It's cheap - 5$/month with serverless options pay-what-you-use ➜ It's secure (row-level security, anonymizations, AD permissions etc.) ➜ It has backup at any moment for the past X days out of the box. Included in the price, with 7days minimum for 5$ one ➜ It's really sable (the only one with 100% uptime SLA) ➜ Geo-redundancy and geo-replication out of the box ➜ There's Microsoft for Startups Program (you can get everything for free) I'm really not a proponent of Microsoft, but Azure DB is extremally good. And if you go to Enterprise, they love Microsoft as well. I'm exiting 6-year old Enterprise SaaS for Project and Process Management in Telco and Construction Industries. I've pretty much battle-tested everything so far.
Jesse Ezell
CockroachDB checks your boxes. We've been using it for years and are quire happy with it. Good support for JSON with the ability to add computed indexes, while being PostreSQL compatible. They offer a "serverless" cloud deployment model and you can run the database locally. You can also run the database in an in memory mode for unit tests, which is really nice.
Stephen Valerie
If you deal with databases quite often when building a website, then you definitely need data comparison tools. And I think it will be appropriate to share this article about sql server database comparison with a list of sql data comparison tools. You will find both free programs and more advanced ones with advanced settings. With these tools, you can greatly simplify the process and make it automatic.