Currently getting the Tiktok hug of death...

Jonathan Nass
12 replies
Launched our first Tiktok video with an influencer with a modest following (30K followers) β€” and within the first hour the post has gotten so much engagement that Outdone is being hugged to death. Gotta take the good with the bad I suppose. πŸ™ƒ https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRxfx9mk/ https://www.outdone.io

Replies

Thomas Varekamp
Super interesting to leverage TikTok for this. And also the perfect influencer choice for your product. How much did you pay her? Or do you have a profit-split deal?
Philip Snyder
That's amazing! Congrats on your success!
Jonathan Nass
@philipsnyder Thanks! Definitely glad that people seem to like it. Just wish our site could have handled more traffic!
Philip Snyder
@jonathan_nass I really like the product also. I'm assuming affiliate links are your main rev source?
Jonathan Nass
@philipsnyder Yup, exactly. That's our short-term revenue model, but we have plans to build deeper, more lucrative partnership deals with brands. Affiliate marketing is a quick and easy way to monetize a site, but affiliate marketing platforms tend to be clunky and antiquated β€” so they don't inspire much confidence.
Angela Dickinson
What an indicator. Too much traffic is a nice problem to have! Bet you’re glad you launched with a more β€œmodest” influencer. What have you learnt and what would you do differently next time?
Jonathan Nass
@angela_dickinson indeed β€” there are definitely worse problems to have! Great question. I would have loved to pressure test our site/recommendation engine before launching this video. I'm not exactly how we'd go about doing that, though. Instead we went from negligible traffic to the most traffic we've ever seen in about 30 minutes. A half-step could have been really beneficial. I made sure to reply to every comment and user that mentioned the site crashed when they tried to run it. People seemed to love that one we 1) Acknowledged we were working on the issue and 2) Let them know when it was back up and running. So I definitely learned that addressing users at an individual level seems to go a long way to building fans of your product.
Michael Flux
#sufferingfromsuccess πŸ™ƒ