Community on Slack

Yuya Julien Takada
4 replies
Hi PH family! Curious to know if there's anyone using Slack as an infrastructure of their community. I'm interested in learning the reason why you chose Slack in the first place, as well as the Pros and Cons you found through the journey. We use Slack for our internal collaboration and I absolutely love it. However, no matter how much we like Slack, I don't think that Slack is the best place to run a customer community. Here are 7 reasons why 1. Not every customer is using Slack 2. Community ≠ Chat room 3. One-size fits all UX 4. Unable to show preview to users before joining the community 5. No analytics -> No improvements 6. No incentives/gamification 7. It costs too much or you lose all the content Curious to hear your thoughts!

Replies

LaKisha Mosley
I so agree. With the instability of Slack it would be hard for me to manage a community there. I use it for clients however most would prefer something else. I also used it for my speakers for an event and the cost to add all 34 of them was crazy. I wanted a centralized location for the event but Slack ain't it. Lol.
Yuya Julien Takada
@lmosley I can't agree more. I just don't understand why some people use Slack for their community although they know some critical weak points of it.
Talia Basma
I haven't used a paid platform for community, but I did recently learn about Heartbeat and I wonder if it is a better space than Slack. The only issue is it isn't "known" the way Slack is so that can be a road blocker.