Choose your fighter: the Pomodoro Technique or longer periods of uninterrupted work?

Gizem Nur Keskin
12 replies
If I could work for longer periods of time with full focus, sign me up! However, I find it difficult to achieve that with certain tasks. So, I am going to say a little bit of both.

Replies

Candice Aime
I definitely prefer long uninterrupted work periods (around 2 to 3 hours) when it comes to in-depth subjects that require a strong understanding and significant focus to achieve results. For simpler tasks that don't require much mental effort, the Pomodoro method works well for me.
mapname
pomodoro works for mundane tasks where I have to push myself to do something, if on a flow state longer periods of distraction free environment works better
Wiktoria Jaszcza
Hi Gizem, For me longer uninterrupted. And agree, for some tasks shorter times :)
Uma Venugopal
Easy: Longer periods of uninterrupted work.
Suyash Chaudhari
This reminds me of PG's classic 'Maker's Schedule, Manager's Schedule'. For me - Pomodoro for routine tasks and meetings (hard stop of 25mins helps!) and longer uninterrupted slots for maker time.
Satyanarayan Prashar
When it comes work which requires me to push myself, I prefer pomodora or else Deep work works best for me.
Igor Lysenko
Since I'm a workaholic, I work continuously and I don't have days off. But I enjoy it probably because I'm working on my product.
Bradley Adkins
AirPods Max noise canceling + focus music x DNS/Focus mode on = Hours of deep work I've done more than 12 hours of uninterrupted work on my best days.
Calli
Longer uninterrupted - it takes me so long to get focused and once I'm there I'm locked in and knock out a few hours before I take a break. I think that's why if I have a bunch of small tasks to do I procrastinate and wait until it accumulates into a few hours worth of work to get it all done at once.... probably not efficient or timely so I'm trying to adjust!
Wendy Olson
While both options have their merits, the Pomodoro Technique offers a structured approach to time management that can increase focus and productivity, making it a promising choice for enhancing work efficiency.
This is a personal matter and, of course, depends on the format of the task. But as a more creative person, I stick to longer periods of uninterrupted work. The main drawback here is that without structured intervals or breaks, it's easy to lose track of time or stop realizing how long you've been working.
Andrea Maxwell
Balancing extended focus with occasional breaks is often an effective way to maintain productivity and prevent burnout. It's all about finding the right rhythm for the specific tasks at hand.