āš–ļø Choose between: create a super useful startup or a super profitable one? šŸŽ­

Eugene Lipski
10 replies
What would you choose: to create a product that will undoubtedly improve the lives of millions of people, but with no guarantee of commercial success, or to create a product that is obviously super commercially successful, but has no real utility?

Replies

Grace Peterson
I strongly JERRYLINK CREDIT GROUP: I think they are the best in terms of credit repair. I had worked with different credit companies in the past, but there was no significant change on my credit report. So many credit forums recommended DYI, I tried every credit hack in the book all o no avail. A real estate agent introduced me to Mr. Jerry, who has been helping his clients. Mr. Jerry and his team helped me erase all the negative things on my report, and raised my score to excellent score across all three bureaus. Iā€™m recommending as promised.
Tanya I
haha, very provocative question :) The YC school says that the motivation to "make money" is not condemned. I would choose commercial success over usefulness
Emilie
I'm personally more inclined towards social causes over profit, most of my projects start from a desire to improve other's lives, therefore I usually price my products in a way that covers the operational costs and generates a small profit to cover for rainy days, trying to stay as low as possible to benefit the most people. But that doesn't mean I've not had projects that were purely to make money in a silly way, haha, gotta have fun sometimes!
Eugene Lipski
@emnificent Sometimes you do something interesting and you don't expect to make money from it and suddenly it starts making some profit. That's the best part!
Elena Tsemirava
I would create a profitable one and then a useful one. When you have money it's easier to help other people.
James Binton
Hmm, surely if you had to choose you'd have to choose to improve lives! Like the regret of not doing that would be painful
Diogo Quintas
I'm not sure this is a dichotomy... If a product has no real utility how can it be a commercial success? I suppose you can have super useful products that are not a commercial success... but I can't see how you can have a commercially successful product that is not useful. Note that useful here doesn't necessarily mean creates a net positive impact in the world though - if we take useful to mean a net positive impact then you might have to choose between commercial success and social impact. But it is not an either or kind of thing. A product that has great utility and creates a positive social impact but can't pay for itself - is not going to be around in the long term, and that surely can't be good for the lives of the people it impacted. Personally I'd go for social impact, but in the knowledge that whatever the product/company is doing it needs to be able to self sustain