Capitalism overtaking Democracy 🤷🏻

Chetan Natesh
1 reply
Since I am building a new social media platform I must know what the PH community thinks about Donald Trump being exiled from Social Media 1) Didn't matter what he said , it was wrong to ban him. 2) Banning him was right. 3) Banning him was right but it should have been handled differently. 4) It should have been a temporary ban. please let me know what you think.

Replies

Jim Zhou
I don't really have any views on the merits of banning him because banning is just part of internet participation and has been since the beginning. I believe that the Constitution of the United States makes it abundantly clear, as Supreme Court precedent does as well, that the state's ability to use state power to constrain speech of private individuals is something that is almost never allowed, because at that point the state becomes the arbiter of truth, and the state tends to jealously guards any new power it finds itself with, with a monopoly on the use of violence to uphold their own legitimacy. So, it's absolutely the right of the private company, which is just made up of shareholders who are also ultimately private individuals, to assert their right in not being forced to carry speech by a threat from the head of the state. He has no such power, and the companies have no obligation to give him a platform. He's free to complain, but have no power to compel compliance under the law, and that's that. To me, the matter is one of state power and coercion versus the private entity, and since Twitter isn't in a position to shoot me, I'll take the safer option that represents the individuals with a stake in the matter and not the state attempting to assert nonexistent authority in the manner of a long whinge. No thanks. edit: this isn't really related to "capitalism". Any individual, or private sector labor union, or commune, or any other voluntary association of individuals you can think of have the same rights. The state cannot compel any of them either. Free speech also encompasses the freedom to reject compelled speech. That's the real underlying issue. Change "capitalism" to "anarcho-syndicalism" and it would make just as much sense.