Build in Public VS Build in community

Daisy Do
34 replies
We shouldn't build in public. Where competitors are active. We should build in community 👇 Where potential users and customers are active.

Replies

Shashi
Build in community
Johannes Kraus
I would rather build in community. You always have the problem that you don't know your customer very well in the beginning...so adding a lot of "noise" in public..is bad, compared to a real closed community environment.
@johannes_kraus_13 this is interesting. I see your point about community and didn’t think about it compared to public
Julia Doronina
I think that it's cool if you have an opportunity to do both
Anh Ngo (Austin)
@julia_demyanchuk How to do both :) ?
Sunil Ayar
It both works.
Simon Rosner
Build in public
Ling Tien
Build in community
Vincent Xu
I totally get where you're coming from, but I think there's actually a lot of value in building in public. It allows for transparency and feedback from a wider audience, which can be really valuable for improving your product.
Anh Ngo (Austin)
I'm moving towards build in public :)
Kabir Haynes
I am working on both
Daisy Do
@kabir_haynes Cool Kabir! Where do you usually build in public?
Anna Jack
Both work better
kevin newsum
Obviously not totally mutually exclusive (YMMV), but if I have to choose one, as a community builder, I have seen some genuinely remarkable insights bubble up from community feedback
Nguyễn Minh Thức
Both of them at the same time
PRIYANKA MANDAL
Agree Daisy. Building in a community definitely seems more strategic, engaging directly with potential users and customers. It fosters a more meaningful connection.
Rubin Shao
Building in community is essential, but building in public requires rapid development capabilities, enabling you to iterate quickly on your product. Otherwise, you risk being surpassed by imitators.
Anastasia Liamets
Both. You shouldn’t be afraid of competitors, if you’re genuine and have engaged community
Hassan Shah
Build in community