At what stage of a startup you should start working for SEO?

Yavuz Tunc Emran
13 replies
That's an interesting question I have in my mind. I always start a little late. Also, did anyone get any success over SEO with a week worth of work force? I feel like this is a very long game to be played every day. What do you say?

Replies

Mei
It depends on how critical is SEO to your business' success.
You should start right from the beginning.
James Brazil
@hamza_afzal_butt you should start before the beginning! give yourself a 3-6 month gradual build-up before your launch.
Morgan Kung
Before I started my own business, I worked for a medium-sized software company for almost 8 years. That's where I realized how important it is to invest in SEO. Here's the thing: one of the products in my old company was pretty much abandoned, but thanks to previous SEO efforts, it still gets organic traffic and makes some serious cash. So, when I was setting up Gemoo, I started on SEO right away. It's definitely a slow burn and takes a lot of time, but trust me, it's totally worth it.
Yavuz Tunc Emran
@inc_gemoo alright but do you think there is a certain threshold that we need to reach to see the effectiveness of SEO? Like after 30 blogs? Or 6 months?
Morgan Kung
@tunc_emran The effectiveness of SEO is not something that can be seen just by writing a certain number of blogs or a certain period of time. If there are dedicated team members responsible for SEO and the industry competition is relatively weak, you’ll see the effectiveness in a few months. However, as I know from my pre-colleagues, it normally takes about takes six months to achieve some ‘success’, but it could be a year or longer depending on how much effort we put into it. My team started working on SEO last October, without a dedicated person responsible for doing it; So far, we haven't seen significant results, but our web’s organic traffic has nicely increased in the past two months.
Right at the start - it's pretty slow burn to get it going
Yavuz Tunc Emran
@maxwellcdavis very slow indeed 😂 how long does it take to get you somewhere ?
Maciej Zatorski
Definitely right from the start. Building a healthy website structure is easy when you're starting from the ground up. That's why it's beneficial to work with an in-house SEO expert or an agency right from the beginning. This is something that I had to learn the hard way - the first website I commissioned was beautiful and modern, however, it was structured in a way that was not Google-friendly. Of course, I didn't know that at the point. Fixing fixing, restructuring the site, moving content around, and so on, was a logistical mess :( I'm currently working for a SEO SaaS company and we're soon launching a product that's all about making SEO as easy as possible while still using a lot of data. Could be useful for you :) If you want to discuss more, you can message me on LinkedIn (link in my profile). https://www.producthunt.com/prod... - and if you're interested in our launch, then here's a link :)