As a founder without tech skills how to hire good developers and manage them?

Artem Luko
16 replies
I've looking for an answer for a while and didn't find any good one, any thoughts on it? how would you do?

Replies

Nguyen Quang Huy
HI Artem, I am a CEO of both tech company and 2 SaaS startup so I can suggest that You should not hire developer if you don't have experience managing them. Of course you can learn by time but you have to pay a lot for your opportunity cost Most of startup founder should hire an outsourcing tech partner with a sign contract to ensure the management to bring the result.
Marilena Nikou
tough one! and unfortunately I have no experience on that...
Julien Fayad
I'm a founder with tech skills and I'm regularly being approached by founders without tech skills: 1. how to hire: Do you really need to hire ? if your project is pre-revenu you probably want to limit but mostly control your expenses... sometimes you need to pause and re-assess your priorities... will you be paying people on payroll while this is happening ? If you are set on hiring, the best way to hire talent is simple, pay them what they deserver, avoid trying to make savings on the people you hire instead buy their extra engagement and loyalty with equity on top of the mix (consider this to be the offset for the risk of joining you). 2. How to manage them: If you have no idea at all on how to manage a tech. team, then do not. Start by hiring a senior dev who's done this and make sure you can trust this person, be generous with the pay and the equity you give (make sure to have a solid vesting schedule though) and then let him/her do the rest. If you need a tech. team but do not have the will to get into having everyone internal to your project, you can also think of subscribing to a tech. team: https://medium.com/@julien_45550...
Emilia Vicini
Hi Artem, great question! I'm a bit biased on this topic since I help startups and founders build their IT teams :) My advice is to define your hiring needs and establish a clear process to recruit talented individuals. Look for senior profiles that not only focus on technical skills but also align with your startup's culture and needs. For example, consider someone who can take ownership of development tasks and provide visibility to you regarding the outcomes. It's important to align expectations on the roadmap or project scope and maintain fluid communication throughout the process. Hope this helps!
Hmm, it would be amazing if you could find a co-founder who is technically inclined. As a non-technical founder, I think it would be even harder to determine who would be the best fit technically, perhaps only if you do it through agencies.
Artsiom Hontar
My thoughts on that, you definitely should find a CTO/tech manager or dive into tech by yourself
Ben Bellerose
This is tough depending on what your tech no how is. Basically, it would be good to be able to talk the talk at least so I would read a lot of stuff to stay current so you don't get swindled. Another good option though that might be the best is a technical co-founder.
Mei
Hire through referrals. Always check their work. Confirm offers post a trial.
Alfonso Alvarez
Got someone technical and up to date with latest industries practices for speed on teams and product and either have him/her as constant advisor or join your team if possible. At least a Tech Lead. (This because it sounds like you will have a bunch of developers).
Taylor
To effectively hire and manage developers as a founder without technical skills, start by clearly defining your project requirements and seeking recommendations from your network. Assess their portfolios, conduct interviews, and check references to evaluate their experience and expertise. Once hired, communicate expectations clearly, foster effective communication, and provide feedback and support to build a strong working relationship and ensure successful project outcomes.
André J
Launching soon!
Someone could write a book on outsourcing software development - but essentially - they have different incentives to you (get paid vs get product market fit) - they are less motivated to solve any structural problems than you are - if you don't know exactly what you want or don't express it clearly, you will get something else - this is true for not just product decisions, but tech too, e.g. which tech choices they make - if you are not careful you will end up paying them to build things that you don't need because they were able to convince a non-technical person that it was necessary - if you don't interview the specific engineers that are assigned to your project then you may end up being misled about their skills or experience - This is not to say that you can't make it work, but outsourcing is a skill
Tatiana Vdovychenko
1. Clearly define your requirements: Before hiring, identify the specific skills and expertise you need from developers. This will help you target the right candidates. 2. Seek expert assistance: Consider partnering with a technical advisor or consultant who can help you evaluate candidates and make informed decisions. Their expertise can bridge the gap between your non-tech background and the technical requirements. Here is a useful article: https://jetsoftpro.com/blog/you-... 3. Leverage technical networks: Tap into your network or join tech communities to connect with experienced developers. Seek recommendations or referrals from trusted sources who can vouch for the candidates' skills and work ethic. 4. Conduct thorough interviews: Prepare a list of questions to assess candidates' technical abilities, problem-solving skills, and cultural fit. Even without technical expertise, you can evaluate their communication, teamwork, and problem-solving approach. 5. Assess work samples and portfolios: Request candidates to provide samples of their previous work or portfolios. Reviewing their projects can give you insights into their capabilities and style of work. 6. Collaborate with developers during the trial period: Consider hiring developers on a trial or project basis before committing to a long-term arrangement. This allows you to assess their performance, communication, and ability to deliver results. 7. Prioritize effective communication: Establish clear channels of communication with your developers. Regularly check in with them, provide feedback, and address any concerns or challenges that arise. Clear communication fosters a positive working relationship.