Anyone else hate gamification within apps?

Kia Kamgar
13 replies
If the app is good, why play games? When you’re working, or even using an app personally, you want to get on with that task. These is NO REASON to break that focus with BS animations, badge collections or any other childish gamifications. And no, it does absolutely nothing for helping the user being ‘happy’ or joyful’ they have a job to do, nothing should be in the way. Am I the only one? P.S. use the comment section below to get your BS PH Comment Award Badges, I’ll start…

Replies

Anna Filou
I agree with some of the others: I like gamification in apps that are supposed to help me form a beneficial habit. For example, Duolingo is quite addictive because of the gamification, but that’s a great thing because it gets me practicing languages more consistently! The would be true for a workout app that encourages you to exercise more. But business apps? Hell no! I don’t want distracting little icons, animations and popups; if the app is a tool, I want to use it and be done with it.
Kia Kamgar
Good Find 🧐 Plugged In 🔌 LOL 😹 Bright Idea 💡 Pixel perfection 💎
Anthony Sellitto
Well we are looking to add them as collectables(nft's) for discounts and certain special event access to reward fan/users. Especially if we add in battle of the bands functions. What would you suggest as a rewards program then? Our launch today: https://www.producthunt.com/post...
Romio
I don't like gamification experiences. some are very irritating. The whole point is keeping that "daily active users". So I discussed it with some people and a few of them said they like it and it is fun. I guess it is not for everyone. Streak is the most interesting one. if it's above 5 to 10 days, it's very tempting to not lose that. some kind of mind playing.
Kia Kamgar
@romiojoseph “…it’s not for everyone” Exactly. If app makers should realise this and give us options to turn off features then they can make donkey kong and let those who want to play it [and not work] have it.
Depends on if the gamification if serves no purpose to help the transformation of a users journey then agree it’s a waste. But if it helps then I’m for it. Eg for a Bank. Every time you add money to your savings you get a little badge or something. It encourages you to reach your goal faster. But only if it helps your transformation
James Sukosd
It depends on the the nature of the app. For skill-building apps, I don't mind it. Incorporating badges for achievements can be beneficial. However, for apps where gamification isn't relevant, like note taking, I hate it.
Oleg Naumenko
Nah, can't fully agree to your point. It definitely depends on the app itself, but there are plenty of cases where gamification would be okay. For example, if one is trying to make a new habit and has an app to remind them of a daily lesson, walk, meditation session, etc. All these silly badges can add a little bit of extra motivation
Philipp Jackson
Gamification mechanics are great in leisure apps, like travel or social networks, but it's really not suitable for business software, where you need whole of your concentration and attention
André J
Launching soon!
If its done right its fine. Like th producthunt gamification works. Because it's silly and fun. And there are no loot boxes....yet 😏
Kyle DeSana
I'm iffy on it. If it takes away from the value of the product then of course it's a no. But like others said, banking apps providing streaks or badges can be both fun and helpful. Think context matters
Bonni
I think it depends on the context and how it's done but agree that it can be a pain when it's too much. It needs to be balanced to be successful.