A lot of bots! PH should only consider people with verified LinkedIn.

Neel Patel
138 replies
I see a lot of fake profiles on PH nowadays. I hope they do something about it. How many of you feel the same?

Replies

Thomas
As an I AI language, I agree with you.
Charlie Choi
How do you spot bots?
Xavier JJ
@charlie_choi3 Sometimes i see replies to my comment "As an AI Language model, i cannot... " haha
George Aleesu
@charlie_choi3 @diana_iun You're right! How some products always peak at the top is even more surprising!
Neel Patel
@charlie_choi3 It's not very hard to see the patterns!
Henry Habib
@diana_iun that nervous moment when you use an AI-generated pic because it’s fun to do and not because you’re a bit 😂
Gabriele Mazzola 🧭
Also those two guys who automatically click the "Notify" button of every single teaser as soon as it comes out: it's a little bit embarassing.
Daniel Burns
Definitely agree. PH should consider some sort of verification, as I keep seeing more of them each time.
summia shafique
taskbarx.org , your website has truly revolutionized our desktop experience! Your innovative solutions have made our computers more efficient and visually appealing. Thank you for your dedication to excellence and user satisfaction. We look forward to more groundbreaking updates in the future!
Esus 🛡️
@summia_shafique lol'd. Seeing the new balloon, so maybe you got lost on your way to a different post :) Maybe not the best to paste here under this specific topic. (Unless it was a joke haha.)
Steffen Schulz
@esus why it is not the best post?
Esus 🛡️
@steffenschulz the OP is about spam/fake profiles/bots, and this comment does not fit that discussion.
Daniel Volynets
Launching soon!
I agree, but maybe instead of LinkedIn, some other verification method would be better, I don't think everyone would want to use LinkedIn
Neel Patel
@davol Ofcourse. Just mentioned that one as an example.
Neel Patel
I am seeing a lot of bots from Dallas. Their intro look same and they are nowhere to be found on internet by their name.
Mathis Vella
And also a small work on the way people upvote products... There's always great products down in the rankings. It should be about the quality/ value proposition but not because one has a great community.
Matteo Mirabelli
@mathis_vella That's one of the most important things to evaluate immediately.
Esus 🛡️
@mathis_vella Yeah, agreed. I think to participate in daily product voting and commenting, accounts should have had to be active (upvote/community participation) for the last 2-3 days. Otherwise, I've seen huge audiences essentially get mobilised to create a bunch of accounts and upvote haha. No bots needed.
Yannick
I don't especially want to link my PH account with my Linkedin account, so I don't think it is a good idea. But a sort of verification could be helpful.
Neel Patel
@mho22 Is there any specific reason not to do it?
Yannick
@neelptl2602 Not a Linkedin user, I have an account but I don't want to be active on it.
Ruhi
You are right but there should be some other way of verification.
Sidra Arif Ali
Yes, I completely agree, but there should be some other way as well, Only Linkedin is not a good option. As, some people don't use it as much in saas as much they prefer building on X.
Dariush Abbasi
Launching soon!
How can we not block the way for new users and cause mistakes while fighting bots?
Debajit Sarkar
I support the idea of having some measures to verify that only genuine people and not bots can access Product Hunt, but I don’t think using LinkedIn profile as a criterion is wise, because LinkedIn might block the profile for various reasons that they find valid.
Yavuz Tunc Emran
Exactly, this approach could definitely enhance the quality of discussions and more on the PH as well.
Shivam Garg
That's true, but I believe there might be alternative approaches to LinkedIn that work even better.
Jens Mannanal
Absolutely! It's crazy how LinkedIn has become a verification badge for professionals globally in the last years!
Drew "Sales Playbook Builder" Williams
Agreed. Should they take the X example and charge $1?
Esus 🛡️
@david_grunwald1 Welcome to Producthunt btw, would love to hear more of how you've seen them as a new user :)