Do you get into the flow state when you're working?

Julie Fung
5 replies
I'm a recent graduate and I've picked up a couple of UI/UX freelancing projects. With the pandemic and everything, it was pretty hard to find a job. Anyway, I haven't really worked on so many projects at once, but I've been able to do so because of the flow state! Curious to see how many other people also love the flow state? I used to multitask in school and it did not work at all, haha. I always found myself spending way too much time because I'd focus on two things at once... Now, I use the Pomodoro Technique in a productivity app and I'm so glad I found a system that works for me. I have to do so much sketching and prototyping, and getting into the flow state for that is a game changer. If you do UI/UX design, you know how overwhelming it can get when you're literally starting from scratch and you're doing it alone! I personally get so stressed out when I'm designing the web pages in Figma, but I've definitely gotten the hang of it and managing my projects with the flow state. I spend almost 1-2 hours each day on each freelance project. I schedule time for each project, turn off my notifications, play some binaural beats, and just flow! I can get so much done when I'm just completely absorbed in my work AND I'm definitely less overwhelmed. I don't know how to describe it, but it's almost as if my vision and goals get clearer when I'm in the flow state? I have a better idea of how I want to design the landing pages (based off my sketches), and I feel more confident about it. Honestly, I never knew how efficient it was to just get in the flow and get into the zone. I've definitely improved myself in terms of productivity and the ability to just shut everything out and focus. How are you motivating yourself and staying productive? Do you feel that your vision is clearer when you're in the flow state? Please share your thoughts/opinions! I'd love to hear about it :)

Replies

Roman Velitskiy
I may sound a bit conservative but for me, the best productivity hack is still the good old "being motivated and passionate about your job technique." Nothing can beat that :)
Julie Fung
@rvelitskiy Nice! Everyone has a different system! How do you balance your workload if you have multiple projects? Would love to hear your thoughts.