How do you find people to interview when doing early product discovery?

Laura Luttmer
6 replies
Suppose you want to break into a new market or you want to source outside of your customer base. Do you use an app or service? LinkedIn? Forums?

Replies

Teneri Decart
About us Veripages is an absolute game changer when it comes to free background checks. If you're looking for a reliable platform that provides comprehensive background checks, license plate searches, criminal records, addresses and more, you shouldn't look anywhere else. Veripages (https://veripages.com/name/Mitch...) offers you reliable background checks, license plate searches, criminal records, addresses and more. We can recommend.
Andreea Bunica
It's a bit tough out there! I'll share my experience, maybe it helps. I was in the same position, really wanting to get to know more people I could speak to and broaden my horizons, but I really had no idea how to do it. So I first tried cold methods- posting on forums about what I'm doing and asking if anyone would be interested to speak, posting on LinkedIn, posting on the YC Startup School threads, slack channels, anywhere I could find. It wasn't very successful- especially via LinkedIn, as people see you immediately as a marketing agent and your message gets ignored. So I then tried going from the network I have and already know and asking them to share my call with others- this worked decently, but it doesn't give you a great deal of control regarding the types of people you are getting to speak to. Now, I am trying a much more personal approach, starting with the startup community as it is. It seems like a huge detour, but making friends amongst other founders and networking heavily actually broadens the people you can ask for help and their connections for potential user interviews. So, in a nutshell, take a personal approach- don't send standardized messages, try to get involved in communities, to comment, and to drive people towards what you want to validate.
Laura Luttmer
@andreea_bunica That's good advice. For some reason, I tend to forget about my personal network when doing user research, but you're right. They could be a great resource.
Jono Sanders
I definitely look for friends of friends to start out with. And if I can't find anyone connected to my target customer it means I need to go meet more people! For that I usually search LinkedIn for people with shared connections so I can get introductions.
Laura Luttmer
@jono_sanders Thanks. I've cold-contacted some people on LinkedIn, but requesting introductions from people I know is probably a much better idea.
Clare L
I've used forums and groups -- definitely helps to join and actively add value to the community first. Engage with the posts and if you can start building valuable relationships I think you'll find a more positive response than just cold posting :) Better if you know someone in any of those spaces that can support your ask or share it with their network as well. I have seen others examples of cold posts to forums/pages offering an incentive for feedback. As a bootstrapped venture we went for an add-value-first approach.