Is personal data a common term?

Brittany Partridge
10 replies

Replies

Chris Wray
I think so. The big tech companies have kind of popularized it..
Chris Wray
@brittany_partridge no I don’t think so.. it does bring it up in my mind though where as if it just isn’t mentioned, don’t think about it that much. Know what I mean?
Brittany Partridge
@chris_wray can you look at my landing page and tell me how you feel about the problem around personal data and big tech? we should be using this shit to our advantage www.theabook.com
Ben Morrison
A term used commonly, yes. A term with consistent, universally agreed upon and understood definition, no.
Brittany Partridge
@benmorrison can you look at my landing page and tell me if the context of personal data is clear enough? www.theabook.com
Ben Morrison
@brittany_partridge I like generally like the messaging and think you are on to something here. Companies have figured out how to monetize anonymized user data and to what cost/benefit/risk to the user. A couple comments: 1) After reading, I don't have a good grasp as to what data you are looking to collect. Anniversary date is the only concrete thing I could presumably take from it. Maybe travel rewards accounts. If you are wanting to get consumers onboard with giving you access to all of their personal data, I think you need to be very specific around what you are collecting, what are you not collecting, etc. Also, what are you looking for your users to do? Download an app? Manually enter data? Enter credentials for automated syncs (like Mint with bank data) 2) It is not clear what the product/service you are providing is. "We save you time by collecting and organizing your data for you" - you only save me time if I am already spending time collecting and organizing this data. Without knowing what you are collecting and organizing, I don't know if I agree/care. LastPass collects usernames and passwords - they took a specific type of personal data and solved the collecting, organizing, and securing problem. 3) In your "why is this important?", I could argue that targeted ads do benefit me. Additionally, if my usage data yields a better product for me (i.e. - iPhone), then again, there is a benefit there. If you are hoping to get access to my personal data, yet you "... will never sell, transfer, or allow anyone to access your data without your explicit consent." I think you need to address the elephant in the room which is how are you benefiting from having my personal data? My best guess is by some Freemium model with free and paid plans? Again with the LastPass example, they have a Freemium model. 4) "We have to take back control of our personal data..." - is product/service giving me control over my personal data? The way it reads, it just collects my personal data and organizes it for me. Does it prevent other products/services from collecting my personal data? 5) Very minor personal preference - your first three sections are questions, but last two are not (and they easily could be), keep structure consistent and change "What we are not:" to "What are we not?"