150,000 impressions later, here's what I learned testing the Twitter Ads.

Mathis Vella
14 replies
With barely 100 followers on my Twitter, my posts usually fly under the radar with less than 100 views. Curious about the potential of Twitter ads, I decided to give it a shot, hoping to learn and possibly boost my visibility. To my surprise, setting up Twitter ads was really easy and user-friendly a big plus for someone not deeply versed in the ad world. In terms of the figures, I invested €120 and received 150,000 impressions. That's an insanely low cost per impression. The campaign scored around 1,500 clicks, translating to a 2.20% click-through rate, with each click costing me just €0.05. So the cost-effectiveness of Twitter ads for expanding reach was quite interesting in my case! This was even more interesting knowing that I was targeting startup founders (used lookalike targeting) : since my startup, Quicklisting, submits startups to over 200 directories online. So, it made perfect sense. But was it worth it? Well, the clicks looked good, but they didn't really lead to more sales, and I ended up in the red. Reflecting on the Experience Getting the same number of views as big Twitter names like Pieter Levels with just €120 was a big surprise. It showed me Twitter ads can really help you get noticed without spending a lot. Would I Recommend Twitter Ads? I'm not an ad expert (I build product in no-code so not really the same thing!), but if you're figuring out where to put your ad dollars, especially on a tight budget, Twitter ads might be worth a shot. They're affordable and can broadcast your message far and wide. To be honest, when I launch new products in a few weeks, I'll definitely consider promoting the launch tweet with Twitter ads. I'd mix it up : try different ad types, not just the ones for more website visits, and rethink my target audience. Maybe my initial audience pick wasn't spot on... but that's all part of working your marketing strategy.

Replies

Russ Halilov
thanks for sharing! that's really helpful. i'm considering twitter as well.
Swayam
Thank you for sharing your experience Mathis, will be watching out for your product launch, do let me know
Matej Cabadaj
Well this is very interesting! Why do you think you had 0 sales out of the 1500 clicks? 🤔 I feel there is a lot of potential with that cost per click! Damn..today I won't sleep XD
Mathis Vella
@matej_cabadaj yeah but I think there was also a big issue with bots. For instance, my cost per click was increasing day by day...
André J
Launching soon!
Elon musk will take any money he can get atm 😅
André J
Launching soon!
@mathis_vella one thing tho, X controls the platform, they can show you any number they want, the site visits could be bots.
Mathis Vella
@sentry_co I have indeed serious doubts on some numbers I've got... 👀
André J
Launching soon!
@mathis_vella I will believe X's numbers when my Tesla becomes can drive it self and earn me passive income as an autonomouse taxi. Any day now 😅 Anyway.. you should try google ads, and connect it with your overall SoMe strategy, followers are hard to fake. LinkedIn is the most expensive ad service there is but can also be very effective when combined with organic marketing. It will give you unfakable numbers as each account is tied to real accounts.
Brenna Donoghue
@mathis_vella @sentry_co can you share a bit about how you approached google ads in a way that was connected with your SoMe? I'd love to learn more. Thanks!
Brenna Donoghue
Thanks for sharing this. We are looking to experiment with Twitter ads, so this is encouraging to see in terms of costs per impressions... so long as we can figure out how to convert some of those people!