Focus on a niche vs do a bunch of things for version 1.0?

Dhruv Bhatia
4 replies
I came across this article (https://usefyi.com/notion-history/) about how Notion started and it seems they suggest it's okay if you don't do one thing exceptionally well in the beginning, and let the market decide what you should focus on for latest releases. Thoughts?

Replies

Kamal Kamalaldin
@dhruv_bhatia I'm struggling with the same thoughts and worries. Don't always know if I should be focusing on one idea and proving it out or working on the first idea that comes to mind and increasing my product output. Seems that I tend to be stuck on analysis paralysis.
Abadesi
I would definitely say focus on a niche. If you're struggling to find your niche just look inwards- what is your story? Why are you building this? What have you been able to overcome? If you do a bunch of things you risk being a part of the noise instead of cutting through it. If you focus you can create a group of hyper engaged users to help you grow more consistently long term.
Dhruv Bhatia
@abadesi It totally makes sense to focus on a small bunch of hyper engaged users early on, and having a niche would be able to attract that bunch. Quite insightful. Thanks!