10 non-trivial tips to win #1 Product of the Day

Sveta Bay
27 replies
Hey, Product Hunt community 👋 During this summer we started an Indie Entrepreneurship journey with https://www.makerbox.club/ Since then, we got #1 Product of the Day for MakerBox Frameworks and #2 Product of the Day for MakerBox Tools. It's time to share 10 non-trivial tips, that helped us to win 🏆 1. Give away on Twitter before the launch. ✔️ Make a free part of your product ✔️ Send it in DM for comment ✔️ Write these people on the launch day. If they enjoy the free part, they'll support you! 🎯 100 comments -> 100 potential upvotes. 2. Prepare your Twitter profile. ✔️ Twitter cover ✔️ Bio ✔️ Kitten glasses 🎯 The target is to increase the visibility of the Product Hunt launch. 3. Choose the launch date. ✔️ Monday is great to launch a content product. We launched on Monday at 12:01 am PST. ✔️ Tue, Wed, Thu - colossal competition. ✔️ Fri, Sat, Sun - low traffic. 🎯 Choose the day according to your targets. 4. Use all distribution channels. ✔️ Indie Hackers ✔️ Reddit ✔️ LinkedIn ✔️ Facebook ✔️ Polywork ✔️ Slack ✔️ Discord ✔️ Hacker News 🎯 Post announcements, participate in discussions, and distribute across relative groups. 5. Prepare the distribution plan beforehand. ✔️ Plan every time slot and distribution channel. 🎯 It'll help you stick to the plan and be calm. 6. Create hype around the launch. ✔️ I wrote 45 tweets on the launch date. It's not the limit. 🎯 Everybody should know about the launch. 7. DM twitter friends (only friends 😅). Don't try to DM every Twitter user, that's insane. ✔️ Write to people you've had a conversation with before. 🎯 They know about your product and will be happy to know the updates - especially the Product Hunt launch! More upvotes! 8. Engage in comments on Product Hunt. ✔️ The number of comments adds visibility. 🎯 The target is to stand out from competitors. Also it's a pleasure to receive compliments and answer back! 9. Analyze the dynamics. ProductWars shows the statistics in real time. ✔️ See the traction, forecast, and speed. 🎯 Forecast is a sign to plan extra distribution if needed. And watch out for suspicious growth... ⬇️ 10. Don't ever try to buy fake upvotes. Dynamics will show all the cheats and fake upvotes will be removed. ✔️ Write to support if there's something suspicious. 🎯 Fair game should be a goal for everyone. But always control it. That's it! Hope it'll help you to get your next #1 Product of the Day! If you have anything to add, please share in comment 😊

Replies

Danish Jaffer
Question: Is posting on Hacker News ok?
Sveta Bay
@danishjaffer yep, why not? But it's hard to get on the 1st page
Danish Jaffer
@basv You mean the ycombinator news right? If you can this is cool.
Dan Kulkov
Hoping that one day Product Hunt will ban users permanently for buying upvotes
Tapos Ovi
@kronop Hoping same here, mate. We rely on and love product hunt. It's a platform where all the serious thinkers roam around and share their tips, feedbacks and cool products. Any type of misleading and scam thing shouldn't be there. This may negatively impact the platform.
Tanmay M
Thank you for those tips, I'm launching today and happy to see that I have implemented some of these, Let's hope how it turns out
Sveta Bay
@tanmaymakode congratulations on launch, Tanmay! You got my upvote, it was interesting to watch how you build in public!
Tapos Ovi
Keep up the good work @basv
Alexander Isora 🦄
Thanks for the great tips, Sveta. I would agree with each point 👍 There is one unobvious tip that I forgot to share on my "Product Hunt A-Z" YT playlist (
) — engaging your local startup community. Asking your country community to support you on your launch day works really well. People who live near you and natively speak the same language as you feel more empathy and wish you success more than people of the global community. You can create a story of your journey and post it on your local forum on the day X. Do not forget to add a link to your Product Hunt page. It is not against the rules to ask people to support your launch unless you ask for upvotes directly. Product Hunt itself is interested in growing so it is OK you invite people from the outside to the party. Good luck!
Sveta Bay
@alexanderisora thank you so much for sharing your tips! The video about launch day is amazing, you made a solid research 🔥 By the way, your results are so impressive. A lot to learn from!
Alexander Isora 🦄
@basv I'm glad it was helpful 🙂 Let me know if you have specific question related to your project's launch.
Thanks for the tips!
Imtiyaz
Nicely presented. It's really helpful. I wasn't aware of Polywork. Thanks for sharing.
Launching soon!
Quite a comprehensive and detailed tips. Thank you so much for your efforts.
Rich Watson
great share, thank you
Sarvam Fating
What a powerful Roadmap to get one's Product to the #1 position on PH! Thank you soo much 🥹 You rock! 🚀
Martina Hackbartt
Great tips! Thanks for sharing!
Marco Shira
Thats amazing guide
Sergei Petrov
This is very helpful for the first launch, thanks!