Project management for the sake of project management. Do you do that?

Andrey
2 replies
I think some people are often too much into project management. Recently I worked on two blog posts about project management methodologies and their application. There are dozens of approaches. Many of them impose rules that are unreasonably complicated for most real-live projects in IT. I also joined a few PM groups on Facebook, and there is a lot of buzz about Scrum, PMBOK, and even Six-Sigma among people who run early-stage IT-startups or work for some small companies. How far do you go with project management? Do you follow all trendy things? Do you do pure Scrum and prey Scrum gods? Do you study PMBOK? Do you know the difference between Crystal Clear, Crystal Yellow, Crystal Orange methods? Or perhaps you simply utilize a bit of waterfall planning and the main Agile principles to construct your own approach to managing your product development? Please also mention projects of what size do you normally deal with. Thx!

Replies

Alexa Vovchenko
Would love to hear any responses as well :) From my experience talking to PM's, they have either passed PMP, work for a solid company and follow the rules, or work in a more casual way and act in terms of what makes more sense, even if it's not 'canonical'