Is there a place in PH for a lone developer?

Belfong
10 replies
So, I have recently took a break in my full time job. I want to be my own boss. So, I started learning SwiftUI and made an app. I am wondering how to promote it and read about Product Hunt. But, after spending a few days here, I wonder if there is a place here for me? I looked at some of the names here - big names like Notion, Spotify(??), Slack, Alfred, Drafts. Even many of you seem to be so extraordinary talented and people of the industry. I felt out of place! Any advice or comments will be appreciated.

Replies

Hi Belfong. Nice to meet you. Welcome to PH. Of course there's a place for you here. I'm also a lone developer. The Notion founders were once upon a time new to PH too :) How can I help or make you feel welcome here? :)
Belfong
@jgani Thanks Jonni, pleasure to meet you 👋 I’m sure I’ll be able to blend in as I spend more time here. It’s just that those big names were daunting! Thanks for your note. I’ll keep you in mind!
@belfong I'm sure you're impressive in your own way. I don't think you need to feel inferior next to the big names :)
Michael Shver
Hi, welcome to PH! 🔥 There are actually many lone developers, and not all products that are launched are groundbreaking big things. Some people create simple apps and solutions for everyday tasks instead of developing complex systems, and it's great to see this variety here, so don't be discouraged! One of the most important aspects of PH, as I see it after several weeks, is building a community. This community will help you and support your product. Be active, support others, and they will eventually support you!
Joep van den Bogaert
Hey Belfong, welcome to PH! I'm also a solo developer and joined PH not too long ago. Just by engaging with others and following some people you find interesting, you'll make online friends quickly here and will feel more at home each day.
Belfong
@jopie @michaelshver Thank you, Michael and Joep. It’s nice to know that there are many lone developers here too and not just big names with lots of resources 🙏Thank you!
Ashley from Shadow
Indie is our language of choice!! Solopreneurs and indie hackers are all welcomed in the PH community :)
Jiaying Li
agree! there should be a tag like 'indie' for us.
Gurkaran Singh
Hey there! Absolutely, Product Hunt is a diverse community welcoming developers of all levels, including lone developers like yourself. Your passion for learning SwiftUI and creating an app is commendable. Remember, every big name on here started somewhere, and your app deserves a spotlight too. Keep hustling, and who knows, you might just be the next big thing on Product Hunt! 🌟