Is the Streak even necessary?

Mary Rumyantzeva, PhD
24 replies
Does anyone know exactly what benefits it provides? I've lost almost a 200-day streak, and now I'm trying to understand whether it's worth starting again. While I enjoy the community and want to stay active, I also need breaks, which the streak system doesn't allow for. It's ironic that I'm asking this now, but it's better late than never.

Replies

Marvin Mändle
Often thought about the advantages of the streaks, interesting question. You can have a streak without engaging with the community and just do a single upvote a day. In the end gamification like the flames in snapchat support the interaction with the platform, when I look at it from the technical side.
Mary Rumyantzeva, PhD
@marvin_maendle Agree with your point on gamification. Good luck on your launch!
Hussein Hashish
i absolutely have no idea
Shreya Gupta
Good for Product Hunt 🫣🤪
Adejoke Yinka
yeah its very important
Nola S. Ro
yes streaks are very important
André J
Launching soon!
How else are you going to get the streak badges without streak. Next question please 😂
Yes, Important. Because one hidden trick that is viral among every founder is that streakers are the ones who are always ready to support your launch, instead of inviting new users and getting upvoted by them, which does not help in getting a top 5 position as per Product Hunt. Streakers receive daily many support requests and good networking opportunities. I have 365+ streaks and 1800 followers, 2k+ k points, and daily get 10-15 LinkedIn requests. 😅 And maintaining streaks is not that difficult; set up an alarm for the most free time you have in 24 hours, keep snoozing until you have supported at least one launch. takes 30 sec. That's it.
Massimo Chieruzzi
I think it's just a gamification to keep ppl come back on PH daily :) I hardly believe it has any impact over than the badges (which are useless :P)
Mary Rumyantzeva, PhD
@massimocw I really enjoy how the answers to my question vary. Thank you!
ISTIAK AHMAD
@mary_rumyantzeva Mary i believe its a motivation to keep coming back on the platform on a regular basis. So it helps you with consistency being active on the platform as you already feel that you have a prestige to keep up ( :
Elle Gzirishvili
the streak can be pressuring especially if you have a long one, but I guess it gives the user enough pressure to be more consistently active.
Gurkaran Singh
Hey there! Gurkaran here, fellow tech enthusiast and startup aficionado. Losing a 200-day streak is no joke, so first of all, kudos on that impressive commitment! As for whether the streak is necessary, well, let's just say it's like that overly-enthusiastic friend who always reminds you to drink water and get enough sleep – annoying at times, but probably good for you in the long run. The streak system definitely has its perks in terms of motivation and accountability, but breaks are essential too (even machines need to power down occasionally, right?). So, it's all about finding that balance that works for you. In the end, whether you decide to start a new streak or not, just remember to listen to what your mind and body need. And hey, if all else fails, there's always a fresh new streak waiting to be conquered. Keep tinkering with tech and keep being awesome! 🚀
Mayank K Sahu
I am receiving more invites on LinkedIn as I have reached a 100+ day streak. I've made valuable connections, and even the founder of 'Product of the Day' and 'Product of the Week' shared a comprehensive guide document they prepared for the Product Hunt launch. So maintaining your presence on PH is good!
Mary Rumyantzeva, PhD
@mayankkr I also noticed an increase in LinkedIn invites. Was the guide helpful?
Anastasiya Gurevska
Some days ago I asked the guys who have collected hundreds of streaks why they collect them. They told me that the streaks do not affect the promotion or anything, but it shows your commitment and might be helpful to gain followers. And this makes sense. Why else would they be collected?
Ashley from Shadow
It hurts my heart every time I lose it so at this point it’s definitely a motivation for me to regain it!!