Integrated with the Google Assistant across your devices and packed with personalized recommendations, Google Podcasts is designed to make it easier than ever for Android users to discover and listen to podcasts.
It's by Google!Cons:
Not available outside the US by the sounds of it. Podcasts are universal. Boo.
After months of rumours it appears like Google Podcasts is ready for prime time. This'll likely steal some people away from third-party apps.Jordan Gardiner has never used this product.
- It's Google so it could be very powerful... someday
- It's free
- Google's minimal design does look clean/freshCons:
- Lack of many basic podcast app features, like episode sorting
- Discovering new/trending podcasts is non-existent
I suppose Android was due for a basic podcast app fairly soon, with Apple providing a standard offering for iPhone. Like Apple's app, this app leaves a lot to be desired.
As an avid podcast listener, I jumped on the Pocket Casts train some time ago so admittedly Google had a large hill to climb in order to get me to change to their app. Currently there are additions/changes they would need to implement to get me to move over to their platform:
- Currently there is no web or PC offering, this is very valuable to me as a coffee shop nomad
- It's too minimalist, lacking many basic like queuing up episodes or sorting from oldest to newest
- This idea of integrating experiences into your podcast sounds interesting, but many other platforms are being acquired and currently in this battle for what format this will look like. I have no reason to believe Google will win out for this one.Nic Acton has used this product for one day.