Could Facebook take users away from popular payments platforms like Venmo and the Cash App? We’ll see.
Yesterday, Facebook took the hood off Facebook Pay, a new feature that lets you pay other people on Facebook via Messenger. While Facebook already had “Payments” through Messenger, Facebook Pay works with credit cards and will maintain your transaction history. The news comes only a few months after Facebook’s big Libra announcement, which is currently facing regulatory roadblocks. It’s worth noting that PayPal (the owner of Venmo) just backed out of the group backing Libra.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Facebook Pay will apparently be separate from Libra.
- The new payments feature is rolling out on Messenger in the U.S. this week.
- Facebook users can use it to pay for game purchases, event tickets, and person-to-person payments (including on Facebook Marketplace).
- Facebook plans to expand the service to WhatsApp and Instagram.
On Product Hunt, reactions to Facebook Pay were mixed.
“If data is a person's most valuable commodity and FB have consistently proven they can't be trusted with it, why would I ever consider using their payments system for my money?” - Connor
“Don't be surprised your family members sending you Christmas money through Facebook Pay.” - Edison
“Makes sense, it can easily compete with Venmo/Cash app.” - Thiago
Reminder! 🚨Submissions for our Makers Festival with Snapchat are closing soon. Get those projects in! 🚀
Modern data needs modern protection
Doesn’t your personal data deserves the best protection? With Acronis True Image, that’s exactly what you get.
Acronis True Image is personal cyber protection that combines reliable backups with an AI-based anti-ransomware defence that stops attacks in real-time AND automatically restores any affected files. Whether your hardware fails, you accidentally delete a file, or you’re a victim of a cyberattack, you’ll never lose a file with Acronis True Image.
Acronis knows that modern data needs modern protections to defeat modern threats. Acronis True Image is the only personal cyber protection solution that offers:
- The ability to clone a Windows or Mac system disk while it is in use
- Automatic replication of local backups in the cloud so an off-site copy is always available
- An integrated, AI-based defence that stops ransomware and cryptojacking attacks
- Blockchain-based data notarization and e-signature capabilities to ensure data authenticity
- Cloud backups that have been independently proven to be the fastest on the market
Visit go.acronis.com/producthunt now to save 30% on Acronis True Image and enjoy easy, efficient, secure cyber protection.