Your ideal workweek?

Max Prilutskiy
19 replies
The 4-day workweek is cool, but it's 4+3 and is too relaxed sometimes. So I'm curious: has anyone tried going for a 4+1 work week? Not a week, technically, but you got it 😉. Shorter but more frequent breaks might increase the pace of a team. I can't see how this could work for mature companies though, but I clearly see how it could improve pace for early-stage startups or founding teams. What do you think, ProductHunt?

Replies

Nathan Challen
The 4+1 pattern is what I use. However, I treat it as a 'flow-day Friday' where there are no meetings, notifications, etc or any comms! just pure focus and pump out whatever I did not achieve in the week due to distractions or interruptions. If everything I wanted to do is done, then that is a bonus day but usually I dig into making something anyway.
Nathan Challen
@andybeard @prilutskiy ah clearly I failed to read your definition carefully. Let me define better what I mean: My answer applies to the standard 5+2 pattern, with a modification: where the ‘Friday’ can become a holiday / optional day for enjoyable work => so 4+3 (selection updated). Further, I should clarify that the 'Friday' here is _only_ for flow work. That is, work suitable to be done in the flow-state (distinct from typical deep work). Keeping in mind that when in ‘true flow’ we can work for hours without tiring and enjoy it. So come ‘Friday’: If the work is complex (eg: debugging code), choppy with interruptions, task switching etc then it’s better to take a day. => Rest up! 3 days off 👍 If that pace is too slow then condense to a 4+2 week pattern where the first day of the +2 'break' is a 'flow day'. 😅 In summary, the key point of my approach is that ‘last day’ of any given week pattern will either be a 'free day' or a 'flow day'. Either way it’s enjoyable, renewing and relieves stress from the team 🏖.
Paul Hart
@emotf Really like this structure Nathan - will give it a whirl. 👍
Nathan Challen
@snakecharmer I teach this technique in my Flow state on Demand course. Dripping more tips ands content here: https://www.producthunt.com/upco...
Max Prilutskiy
@emotf do you feel like there's a burnout potential in this scheme tho? I liked 4+1 originally, but @andybeard had a good point above; might be tiring. How is it in your case?
Max Prilutskiy
@andybeard @prilutskiy @emotf gotcha, makes sense now! 😎
AJ Alkasmi
Hmm how does the 4+1 week work?
Aerin Paulo
@aj_alkasmi If I'm understanding the question right, you work 4 days and then have a day off, then repeat?
AJ Alkasmi
@itsaerinpaulo oh interesting. I thought that might've been it but that sounds rough -- to me at least. I feel like it's a recipe for ongoing "Sunday scaries."
Andy Beard
I am interviewing / in final stages with 2 companies atm where the standard work week is less than 30hrs per week. 1 is 5hrs x 5 days (of intense work) 1 is 4 days of 7 hours Both are flexible on side projects, and encourage healthy life/work balance I have previously worked 14hr days often at least 8 hours work at weekends I then burnt out 4 on 4 off with longer shifts is quite a common setup, but overall that isn't more work hours 4+1 ? That sounds like pending burnout. Also a single day off isn't very useful. You would end up with 4+2 or 4+3 when you have an unlimited holiday allowance ;)
Max Prilutskiy
@andybeard That's a good point. Indeed, 4+1 can lead to burnouts; especially when when working 8+ hours.
Oli
For me 4+3 and flexible on Friday to work or not depending on the amount of work for half day or full day, that give you enough time to have to be able to plan a weekend somewhere to change your mind.
Paul Hart
In our small team of 3 we simply set tasks, dates and timelines to getting work completed. Days and windows of doing work is the responsibility of the trusted individual.
Alexa Scvortsova
Four days a week is quite enough to work productively. And three vacations are a great boost of energy in order to solve all the cases in four working days.
Ann J. Buxton
A survey of 1,000 office workers found that younger workers expect a more flexible working week, suggesting that “the growing pursuit of flexibility could continue for generations to come.” Despite the fact that workers want a shorter work week and more flexibility, many still see added value in going into the office. All age groups miss the office; the top two reasons people miss the workplace is the social aspect, and being able to bounce ideas off other people. per your health
Julia Doronina
4+2 sounds cool, I think :)
Michael Silber
It's also critically important to understand the work-life balance culture at a company. If you're always reachable, then it becomes quite a bit harder to actually use those weekends effectively — even if they are technically longer. I think this is a similar trap to "unlimited" vacation. Realistically, I think more companies can try to build more flexibility into the workday to let their employees run errands, work out, take long lunches, etc. This is one of the good things to come from this whole remote working experiment we're all in. Maybe some companies can also decrease the work week by a day, but it really depends on how your company makes money.