Would you consider the following as transformative or just another meh?

Manoj Ranaweera
17 replies
You bring an idea for a tech startup. 2,885 volunteers (we are adding 100 every 3 to 6 days) at www.skilledup.life Validates it Help build the idea into a product Acquires users on your behalf Convert them to customers Provides customer support Build the team Pre-Seed Investors watching what's happening put some money into you, as SkilledUp Life has de-risked the opportunity for them. You end up hiring some of our volunteers after the volunteer term has ended. Is that too much to foresee? Is that just another meh!

Replies

Bogomil Shopov - Бого
Who will manage the risk on something get built, but never gets published or developed?
Bogomil Shopov - Бого
@manojranaweera yes, but what will happen if the volunteers spend 3 months working hard on something and then the project idea fails?
Manoj Ranaweera
@bogomep Volunteers are there to gain Experience. They move on. Succession planning is there for the next cohort of volunteers to step in and continue.
Manoj Ranaweera
@bogomep Volunteers help the founder(s). Founder(s) owns all the IP.
Reuben Carter
Never been a huge fan of the "work for free so you get experience" model. Seems a little exploitative when the volunteering is not for a charity but a start-up. It reminds me of unpaid internships, which cause many problems in society. For anyone starting out with coding I would recommend doing open source stuff. It will get you all the experience you need to be hireable.
Manoj Ranaweera
@reuben_carter I think you are misunderstanding what we offer. Volunteering through SkilledUp Life is non intrusive. We have many individuals who volunteer to gain Experience whilst being employed. Our volunteering is 1hr+ per day for three months. Where is the exploitation in here? They join us to gain Experience, nothing more. Here's a good example https://www.skilledup.life/how-i... Opensource is another option. But SkilledUp Life is not all about programming. It's in fact the least popular area. To be build a company you need to develop all areas, as you know very well know.
Matthew Johnson
What investor is going to invest in founders that couldn't do all those things themselves and instead relied on unpaid interns to do it? Why not just invest in a company run by the unpaid interns who did all the work?
Manoj Ranaweera
@mattcrail well time will tell. How could one person build a scalable tech company? As the company grow, it would have both paid and volunteer talent. That's how we see it works out. These are not interns. These are volunteers. Quite a difference between the two.
Manoj Ranaweera
@mattcrail How's Taskable by the way? Have you left Pioneer? You must killing it with MRR by now.
Matthew Johnson
@manojranaweera I don't think one person can build a scalable tech company, but what you are describing are things that founders should be able to do on their own imo
Matthew Johnson
@manojranaweera We took a break from Pioneer over the holidays. Things are going well - making lots of progress with the product and feel like we can go further into growth mode
Manoj Ranaweera
@mattcrail Is your team still two? Impressive what you have achieved. My team now is 1 employee, me plus 19 volunteers. www.skilledup.life/about