Why do you upvote a product?

Aryon Sunrise Hopkins
8 replies
I've been a lurker on Product Hunt for years. Recently, I have made an effort to contribute with comments and upvote products. I don't understand why I should upvote. Does it contribute to the "greater good" of how this product will help others and is a good idea? Or do I simply like anything that is made with GPT-3 or think the product's logo looks good? In Product Hunt's FAQ, I found: Upvote the things you love. When you do, it is saved to your profile. In a related sense, I have been both lurker and up/down voter on Reddit. In that community, the guidelines vary on how to up/down vote. I have roughly followed this guidance. Quality control. Upvotes are intended to mean "this contributes to the conversation" and downvotes are intended to mean "this does not contribute to the conversation". Moderate based on quality, not opinion. Well written and interesting content can be worthwhile, even if you disagree with it. Reddit says: Vote. If you think something contributes to conversation, upvote it. If you think it does not contribute to the subreddit it is posted in or is off-topic in a particular community, downvote it. [META ending] Upvote this discussion if you agree, Aryon

Replies

Jaskiran Kaur
I upvote a product when I think it can help a people in lot of ways.
John Smith
i upvote product, which I belive have potential. I won't necessary use it myself.
Zdanovi
Usually when I used it and liked it or as a "bookmark" in case I'll need it later.
Cica-Laure Mbappé
I usually upvote product that I can use, even if I don't sign up to it right away I upvote it for later.
Vijay Giri
I upvote a product that solves small problems for a larger audience.
Richard Fang
I usually upvote a product if it's interesting and something I haven't seen yet. Could be solving a niche problem or a global one.
Daryll Wong
I have a goal of looking at PH everyday. What I see myself doing is to give upvotes for products which are genuinely created out of passion (which may not necessarily be the top products), and for encouragement.
Amara Pope
I upvote a product I believe will be an important solution to my own problems as well as recognizing its potential value for other people.