Why did you decide to make a startup (if you are a founder) or join a startup?

Julia Doronina
9 replies
What is your motivation? Expectations? Dreams?

Replies

Inna Proshkina
The smaller the company the more impact each member of the team makes. More responsibilities, more opportunities to learn, to grow professionaly, and to jump start your career. More freedom, and more reward! Teams are close-knit groups that hang out together after work. Not to mention dynamic environment and being a part of a cool disruptive technology.
Julia Doronina
@inna_proshkina I absolutely agree with you! With all these advantages!
Julia Doronina
As for me, it was a chance to try myself in a small but very inspired team with different tasks, deadlines and ideas. You can try, try and once again try different approaches. It boosts your skills and experience in a wide range of activities.
Albert Kozlowski
For me the answer is pretty simple: it is a project that started in my heart! I am building something that I genuinely believe in, and it is almost part of my DNA. It doesn’t mean that I didn’t believe in the things I created in the past. However, none of my past products were so close to representing my beliefs. That's big reason why I started my second startup, working on the product that started in my head allows me to express myself by my work. Obviously with people joining the team it will become collective vision, however there is part of me in this business. It's much harder to impact the outcome by working for already established big organization.
Julia Doronina
@albertkoz It sounds very cool! Good luck with your startup and your dream idea!
Anton Ross
I am tired of working every day for the sake of other people's projects that enrich other people. They say that salary is a drug that kills your ambitions
Julia Doronina
@rosssaris I absolutely agree with you! When you manage your own project it increases your ambitions, your motivation, and the quality of your life!
Bertram Runolfsson
What are the tradeoffs between going to a startup versus joining a mature company? Having done both, several times, I get this question all the time. There are many things to consider and lots of “it depends” when it comes to where you are in your career, where you live, and many other factors. Here’s my perspective on the tradeoffs. AdvancedMD
Julia Doronina
@bertramm It's a good point, as for me, I think it's important to try both approaches and mix them maybe sometimes to find the best scenario for your own life