Who is the audience of Product Hunt? Your ideas.

Julia Doronina
30 replies
We are planning to launch on Product Hunt once again after our successful launch last year with LeaksID (https://www.producthunt.com/post...). And we started discussing with the team, who is the real audience of the site, who is better to target products here. Your ideas? What products are definitely not suitable?

Replies

Yuri Lisin
I can define myself as a target audience. I build (with no-code) and market products myself and regularly visit PH to follow the trends in product design, marketing etc. It seems to me that the only criteria for products released on Product Hunt is that they should not be boring. Which is actually a very charming thing about PH:)
Martina Hackbartt
I personally think there are 2 main audiences: 1) Individuals who like tech, who are maybe building something and like to be up-to-date with the latest trends. 2) Teams! who are marketing their product and stay very active here to build a network, receive feedback on their product, and others. So I'd say any tech product that is targeted to individual users or businesses could do well!
I think there are three audiences: Marketing Teams Solopreneurs/Indie Hackers/Entrepreneurs Tech interested people that want to keep up to date
Kazimieras Melaika
I think it's product makers, who will be launching their own products in the near future, tech enthusiasts who always want to stay up to date, or people looking for advice from other product owners. Btw, we’re launching in late April or the start of May. Check out our upcoming PH page: www.producthunt.com/upcoming/eff... Our project is called: Effecto. It’s an app for detailed health tracking. Pretty much for everything that is related to your physical or mental health and every daily factor that can affect you.
Adnyesh Dalpati
Entrepreneurs Enthusiasts Experts
Dmitriy Zhukov
People who like technology, who might be creating something, and of course teams who want to launch their product on PH.
Su Kaygun Sayran
I'd say mainly makers and teams/marketers. Interestingly enough there's little spam. I don't think it's realistic to have a platform with zero spam but for a platform that's built solely around promoting product launches, PH is doing remarkably well.
Paul VanZandt
I think ProductHunt is mainly built around people who are interested in innovative tech and new ideas. Whether this is founders, makers, employees, or freelance creators, the interest in product growth is something we all have in common!
Jamie Green
This is a super good question and I think all the other answers have nailed it so will take another spin on the question. It depends. There are a couple factors inherent in PH i.e., tech savviness, marketers and founders looking for tools etc. but a lot comes down to what you launch and to who you are targeting. I will break it down by; is it to get customers? Is it to build awareness? Is it part of a wider marketing push? Given these, the audiences could look like the following: - If its to get customers - if you are B2B you are likely looking for advocates, best case you get the founder/ exec with authority to advocate (removes the need for purchase approval) but at a min you are looking to get team members to advocate your product to their manager etc. - If it is awareness - then it is really anyone and everyone, in this case you want to push website visits, social follows and email signups - If it's part of a wider marketing push - then your audience may not be the direct viewers of your launch but the viewers on the PH newsletter or your own email subscriber list you are trying to convert by showing "hey look we were #1 on PH click here to see" Now this isn't be all end all but combined with the other answers should add some extra colour
Sean Song
3 kinds: 1. who comes here for fun 2. who comes here for work 3. who comes here for both work and fun
Arpit Mishra
Here is my observation about PH audience as a SaaS marketer - 1. Tech enthusiasts (0-5 years exp) who want to check on the cool products and then use it. Finding cheaper alternatives. 2. Open-source contributors hang out a lot on PH. Switch frequently between Reddit, SO & PH. 3. Marketers - Preparing for their next launch, Studying competitors 4. Founders - Keeping upto date on the market and category.
Arun Pariyar
I think that the PH Community is diverse enough to give a solid chance to any product that solves a real problem(That's the key). I see developers, founders, marketeers, growth hackers, community builders and more. It's probably cheesy to say this but for a well made product, "Build And They Will Come" is at the heart of PH 💜
Eugene K.
@arunpariyar How do you think does PH really suit for b2b products?
Christian C
Indie hackers :)
Dylan Merideth
1) Early adopter folks who simply love staying on the edge of whats currently being done in the startup space 2) Entrepreneur builders 3)Marketers Things that arent suitable are tied to most terms and conditions (no adult entertainment, drugs, and other illegal activities)
Sonu
I can find myself as a best audience who visit producthunt daily without typing anything else in google.
Ifeoluwa Adeyemi
End users of tech products
Dow Osage, MBA
It seems like on any given day much of the traffic is there to support one of the companies launching on that day. I wouldn't want to guess the percentage, but I imagine it's substantial. Beyond that group, I would think investors/prospectors and techies make up the next two biggest cohorts.
Michael Eric
Thank you, it solved my confusion, I didn't know it before
Tony Brooks
The audience for Product Hunt is proactive people who are trying to achieve something in this life.
Thomas Schranz ⛄️
Great question. I would say people active on Product Hunt are a wild mix of founders, product managers, designers, developers, marketers, solopreneurs, content creators, community builders and alike (often wearing multiple hats at the same time or over time) => the word "makers" captures it quite well actually That said: since people can follow each other (and get notified about their activity on the platform) the individual experience on Product Hunt can be quite personalized (e.g. feel like a "devtool" focused platform if you mainly follow "devtool" people).