Which marketing strategy is better for a startup with a limited budget?

Guy Altagar
15 replies
Considering the limited marketing budget we have, would you recommend focusing on one channel only (Say, only FB, only TW, only Google)? or... should we spread our risk allocation and invest a little in each channel? Would love to learn from past experience and examples. Tnx!

Replies

Pablo Fatas
i got a ton of users and interactions by simply making a reddit post in the relevant subreddits. It is free and really effective. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask :)
Guy Altagar
@pablo_fatas Wow! What a great piece of information. Thank you!
Guy Altagar
@pablo_fatas Thanks! I'm really interested in posting on reddit, and would love to learn more. Can you please share about the process there? What are the important key factors to pay attention to?
Pablo Fatas
@guy_altagar2 https://www.producthunt.com/disc.... here is a post I made a while back :) feel free to ask anything else if you want!
Julia Ching
If you have a limited budget then you have to connect audience on social channels like FB, Twitter, Instagram and others. Connect with the right audience share your business information. Aware them of your brand and engage them through attractive posts. Social media is the best way to connect with the right audience without spending any single penny. You can do it by yourself if you have no budget to hire experts. It is very easy and free of cost way.
Guy Altagar
@salonist_software Thanks! But my question related to the allocation of resources: Say I have only 5kUS$ to invest in marketing. Would you say investing all of it on a FB will be smart? or maybe invest 1.5kUS$ on Twitter, 1.5k$ on Instagram and 2k$ on FB? Which will be more efficient based on your experience? Thanks in advance.
Julia Ching
@guy_altagar2 As per my experience you need to invest in all 3 platforms.
Fabian Maume
Do you also have limited time? We low budget you can try to go for time intensive channel. For example writing answer on Quora or being active in Facebook group is time consuming but free. Setting up an affiliate system is also cheap as you are paid on result. If you have a low budget I would strongly recommend to test max 2 channels at a time. Just run small & short experiments to test the potential, to not burn all your budget on one channel.
Dani Schenker🇨🇭
It really depends on what the startup does and who the targeted audience is. Let's take two examples. 1. A fashion startup: I would probably only use Instagram, Pinterest and TikTok. Create some content, but invest most time and money in connecting with influencers. 2. A startup in the creator economy: I would use twitter and some specific communities (like indiehacker). Connect with other creators who are potential clients. I would also create "launchable" content or tools every month and build a following here on producthunt. Like I said... there is no one answer... even less a correct one ;-)
Guy Altagar
@danischenker Thanks! Are you familiar with past use cases I can learn from? It's a really interesting question and your answer is insightful, so thanks!
Dani Schenker🇨🇭
@guy_altagar2 Hey Guy. I am sure there are hundreds of blog posts, courses and case studies out there. I don't have any specific one I could recommend. Sorry...
Deepak Kumar Prabakaran
This is what I am trying to do. A. I do weekly events (every Saturday 1-hour) with a small group of people. B. Create short content out of it that I can share for the week on Twitter, Linkedin, and the newsletter. D. Build community. Eventually, I hope I can create a repository of content that should help me with search engine visibility and market credibility. But honestly speaking, this consumes time. Not every day, I get sign-ups. And on those days, I feel like running an ad campaign, but I don't. :)
Davit Svanidze
If you have limited then Social platforms, but I would recommend website too. There you can check your visitors audience and create a very specific content, you can monetize it too. To have a website visitor tracking tool is a must, so I will recommend Leadrebel too
Will Perlmutter
In my experience across startups, Google search is the best way for a startup to operate on a budget when it comes to marketing. Typically when your SEO strategy is on point, you can generate up to 60% of total traffic from Google search. This is huge. But it take some time. I'd focus there first and foremost, no matter the industry. Then from there, see where your potential customers are: if they spend more time on one platform or medium, that's the road to success (as long as you know how their consumption habits are changing over time). When in doubt, as your current customers about their journey to become your customer :) it always helps!