Which is more productive for you: working from home or the office?

Ezgi Aydın
216 replies
I'm very productive when I'm in the comfort of my home but there are days I find the structure of an office beneficial. I guess working hybrid makes me the most productive

Replies

Kyler Phillips
I go to a Wework and am usually far more productive, it’s getting colder though so I’ve been lazy recently and started working from home more!
Aaron O'Leary
Working from home for me, something about being in my own environment keeps me productive
Pankti Shah
@aaronoleary so true because in office it take time to adjust but from home it's heaven 😇
Ezgi Aydın
@aaronoleary I feel the same. It is a space that belongs to me so I can move and act more freely. Being comfortable keeps me productive
Sandeep Bansal
@aaronoleary @pankti_shah_910 But don't you find kitchen, fridge, and TV as a distracting invitation :-)
Aaron O'Leary
@tadej_jevsevar in an office it’s atleast 70% of pretending to be busy because work arguably doesn’t take up 8 hours a day. With WFH I have the flexibility to finish as fast as I want, start on something else, flexibility with my lunch breaks and can be on call also if needs be. It’s a better environment for me personally and that leads me to be more productive
Steven Birchall
My office days have very much turned into my meeting days, whilst my WFH days are predominately focused on output, so no doubt that skews it, but I definitely enjoy the less interruptions at home.
Eileen Simons
@stevenbirchall I agree 100%. Also, in my case I need an hour and a half to get to the office and another hour and a half to get back home, so the stretch is long for me and as I now go on specific days I can invest this time in other things.
Ezgi Aydın
@stevenbirchall that is very interesting, maybe it is because of my schedule but I usually have more meetings when I'm working from home
Ezgi Aydın
@eileen_simons I totally agree. As a person who spends long hours commuting to work it sure feels like I have more time to spend on other things when I'm working from home
Antoine Guillot
@stevenbirchall @eileen_simons That's exactly what we were discussiong with my team today. A colleague states that she used to loose 2h to come and go to the office, and now that she works remotedly she can do more stuff. Happy employees, work better done they say, so I'm glad!
Tadej Jevševar
@stevenbirchall @eileen_simons @antoine_guillot1 Yeah, no daily commute is an excellent benefit of remote work. Are there any downsides to working remotely for you?
Business Marketing with Nika
From home, definitely! I need quiet space. If anybody else is in the room, I can't work properly. I feel more comfortable in my own cozy room.
Business Marketing with Nika
@katerina_arbuzova By the way, I was so distracted when I was learning for my tests at university. The only person who was allowed to be in the room was me. 😂
Neel Nayani
Hey! Ezgi Aydin I think our app can help you with this! Let me know if that works for you. https://www.producthunt.com/post...
Gleb Slonimskiy
Working hybrid is the best, but depends where you live and where your office is. May be they are in different cities / countries))
Ezgi Aydın
@gleb_slonimskiy I agree, even though I enjoy being in my own quiet space I sometimes need to see my coworkers and have a chat
Gleb Slonimskiy
I like working in cafe )
Ryan Martin
@gleb_slonimskiy +1. the atmosphere in cafes helps me focus.
Indu Thangamuthu
Not concerned of location... but I feel WFO gives me more focused time compared to home
Indu Thangamuthu
@ezgi_aydin In the office, it's not just mine but other's responsibility also motivates me to work extra. Or also supports me a lot when i feel down. I miss that when I did WFH
Masha
What's office? I'm personally more productive at home, as I struggle to focus in noisy environments.
Claudia Vaduvescu
I've been working from home since 2018. You have to essentially become a master at creating pattern interrupters, but walking every day and aiming to learn one new thing daily is the safest bet to keep your sanity.
Natalie Mastracci
Such a great question. I love being strategic about the kind of work I'm trying to accomplish and marry that to the environment. When collaboration is key we get everyone in office around a table and a whiteboard. When I just need to churn out documentation or process a bunch of individual tasks, I stay home to maximize efficiency. So curious if anyone has found great collaboration tools for remote work?
Ezgi Aydın
@nmastracci I have the perfect software for you. BeforeSunset helps you see what and how long you and your coworkers are working on. That way you can see If any one of you is overworking yourself. That is definitely the perfect way to increase productivity and collaborate. Here is the link so you can check it out: https://www.usebeforesunset.com/
Natalie Mastracci
@ezgi_aydin oh wow! You use this? Have you had to intervene with a coworker who was over-extending themselves? How did that go?
Ezgi Aydın
@nmastracci Well usually I'm that coworker who is over-extending themself. It is great to have that insight and see which task I'm spending way too much time on. When that happens I direct my attention to some other task
Natalie Mastracci
@ezgi_aydin very fair! I’m just curious.. how did you track your own time before? Or how were you prioritizing your work before this tool? What led you to the moment “I need this!”
Tadej Jevševar
@nmastracci This is the exact reason why I started working on my project called Closer. Feel free to check it out here: https://www.work-closer.com
Abid Unnisa
Working from home anytime. As I feel the travel time can be saved making us more productive.
Ezgi Aydın
@abid_unnisa You are right! I try to read on my commute to use that time wisely but I cannot focus as well as when I'm at home
Sonia Kost
The working process is more productive in the working environment for me. BUT I don't think that spending the amount of time I had to spend previously on transportation is very efficient. So I'm settling for the home office 😅
Jason Andries
I thrive at the office compared to working from home. I'm a lot more productive and have a better focus at the office because I'm in a productive environment, which stimulates me. I get distracted easily and have a hard time regaining focus when I work form home.
Ezgi Aydın
@jason_andries1 Seeing my coworkers focus on their tasks helps me focus as well. I miss that when I'm working from home
Ekaterina Arbuzova
@jason_andries1 I also noticed that being with someone who is focused on the task helps me to be more productive. But I managed to adapt this feature to my WFH environment by daily online meetings.
Jason Andries
@katerina_arbuzova That's a great idea actually! I don't have that many meetings so I don't know if it's going to work for me, but I'll definitely keep it in mind :)
Parker Revers
It's too easy to be distracted by email, texts and Twitter — sitting down and focusing on a single thing for a few hours, regardless of context, is the habit that leads to stepwise growth. For me that looks like heading to a coffee shop, enjoying a latté, and committing to 3-4 hours on a single thing. But, it also looks like heading into the office for back-to-back meetings or locking myself in my room for the afternoon. The key is to stuff your phone in your backpack and turn off notifications :)
Brian Byun
Home for work that requires individual focus and office for collaboration and collective ideation
Carole Richard
Working from home. I work in IT and happen to be a woman. WFH has not fixed all the sexism in my field, but I don't have the worry about office politics. And I haven't had to submit any HR reports since I've been WFH. Also, my cat is a nicer coworker.
Ezgi Aydın
@carole_richard I'm sorry this happened to you, it is really hard to be a woman in tech. But I'm glad you cat is there to keep you company. I miss mine so much when I'm working from the office
karneisha key
Working from home office
Ezgi Aydın
@karneisha_key Why do you find it more productive?
Deniz Sutaş
Anywhere for monotonous tasks, otherwise definitely an office with minimal distractions.
Ezgi Aydın
@deniz_sutas Working at a cafe is great for monotonous tasks
Juan F. González
WFH has become the only choice at this point. I can get done sooo much more than I ever could at an office.