Where should I start the blog for my startup? Medium? Substack? Own site?

Alexey Shashkov
20 replies
I want to start the blog for my startup Getlanding.io. Can you give me a piece of advice on it? Medium? Substack? My own site? Any tips?

Replies

Dan Gusz
We just restarted ours using WP Engine. I think it will vary depending on your strategy. If you're going for newsletter style blog, Substack could be it. I know it seems like a generic questions but it does have an impact - what are you trying to accomplish with the blog?
Michael Bogdanowicz
I think the best way is Medium. And copy on the own site.
Alexey Shashkov
@mikhail_bogdanovich Thank you, Michael. Why Medium? Is there a problem with SEO when you're cross-posting content on Medium and your own site?
Fabian Maume
@shashcoffe Not if you setup medium properly. Google is able to recognise that the original content is from your blog and that you are using medium only for content distribution.
Alexey Shashkov
@fabian_maume Thanks. Fabian. Do you mean to use Medium only for announces or summaries not for crossposting?
Fabian Maume
@shashcoffe No. Post the article on your blog post. Use medium import story feature to republish it on medium: https://help.medium.com/hc/en-us... Google will not count as duplicated content. There is no need to make summaries or editing of your blog post.
Pathange Balaji Rao
You need to understand three things here: 1. What fits your audience 2. What fits you, your resources, and your expectations 3. What is best for the future Lets us now demystify each of them: 1. What fits your audience: - If they are well aware of substack then go with it. - If you would rely more on the organic reach than Medium has to offer then go for it - Would your users have a good experience having it bundled with the product? Like help them with whatever they want to know and find solutions wherever they are struck. 2. What fits you, your resources, and your expectations: - Basically, how much time and human resources do you have to maintain the content - If you want to bundle the blogs with the product and provide additional support and learning material for the users to seamlessly access - Blog on the product website is going to help you with organic search - SEO optimization. Would having the blogs around your startup product put you in a better authority position? 3. What's best for the future: - Think through the future plans and goals with the blog, so that you don't have to sometime move somewhere losing a lot of habituated readers I would go with assessing all these three things to understand what would be the right fit. I hope this helps Alexey
Alexey Shashkov
@balaji_rao1 Thank you so much, Pathange! It's really helpful for me!
Amanda Tunner
I started with Medium and still continue using it as my blog can be easily found on that platform (based on some specific hashtags) and it's simple to use. Using own site's blog isn't quite effective to me as the traffic that I used to get was nearly zero although I had optimized the SEO. However, the advantages of it are enormous as personal blog site can be fully-customized and if your business is big enough, that blog site will be one of the important parts that can help you build brand awareness.
Isabel Nyo
All of the above. :) For me, each of them serve their own purpose: Medium: A platform with reach - I am @eisabai on Medium Substack: New kid on the block and for folks who want to consume content via email My own website: https://eisabainyo.net- My personal Brand
TL Robinson
I'm here to view everyone else's answers. Thanks for all of the helpful information.
Shrey Gupta
You can use your own site for blogs, this will help you make your website more authoritative and provide SEO benefits as well. And use Medium to syndicate your content on it.
Carsten Pleiser
I started off with Medium and Substack but then quickly went to build my own with Ghost and Digital Ocean. It's blazing fast and I can have the same pay-wall features (if I wanted) than on Substack.
Ahamed Km
7 Best tips to optimize medium for business you should know. https://digitalwithsree.com/medi...